1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I sold all my music gear and regretted it. Now I'm back

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lunatique, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    A couple years ago I had sold almost all of the music gear in my home studio (guitars, basses, drums, keyboards, amps, etc.), because 1) lost a ton of money in bad investments 2) switched focus to writing novels.

The only pieces of gear I kept were my Zendrum, a small MIDI controller keyboard, and my studio monitors. At that point I had already stopped making music for almost 7 years and rarely ever touch my instruments. I had already left my music career behind (was a songwriter/composer. Wrote songs for pop-stars and composed scores for film/games). I was totally content just focused on writing novels.

But recently, I've been feeling that itch again, and I finally had to admit I regretted selling off all my gear. Although I don't think I'd ever return to composing/songwriting professionally, I do miss playing bass, because it's the one instrument I enjoyed playing more than any others.

So I've now bought two basses and picking up where I left off in my bass playing, although it's more like starting over since it's been so long. But because there was still some of that muscle memory, music theory knowledge, and creative sensibility left from all the years I was doing music, getting back into shape has been pretty fast. I'm now just playing music for my own enjoyment and without the business/career aspect (which can be often a joy-killer).

Anyway, it feels good to be back. And here are the two basses I got:

Music Man Bongo 5 HH (firemist gold)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fender Mustang PJ (surf pearl)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Yay for you! It’s supposed to be fun. That’s why my profession is completely unrelated to music.

lowdownthump likes this.
  3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Excellent restart!
    Hey, back when I was just a kid, my dad (a drummer) explained it all me. He said that if you are really a musician you can never give it up. He told me about all the musicians he knew who hocked their horns over and over swearing to never go back and then the call of playing begins to work on you and you are back doing it again. And Yes, that was true for me as well. I had a bass hiatus for, cripes, I don't know how many years. But in the end even though I had bought an electric piano to noodle on to ease the pain (I still suck on keys) eventually fate conspires against you. In my case it was this cheapo drumset at an unclaimed freight store that was virtually free. Nice wood working project I thought... Right, sure! Now it's 3 drumsets, 20 basses , 20 guitars, Yammy keyboard, Vibes, myriad handdrums...<SIGH>

But you know I love it! :D

lowdownthump likes this.
  4. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Been there, dipped out of music a couple of times. Sold basses I regret, including a fretless Bongo with all the bells and whistles. Bought an $80 Ammoon jazz with extra Christmas money, started playing again, my son started playing and now we are shopping for a serious axe. Welcome back.

lowdownthump likes this.