Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I sold my 65 Jazz to a Celinder Luthier.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rubo, Sep 14, 2004.

1. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I needed the money to buy a Morison Digital Trumpet, so had to sell my 1965 Fender Jazz. I sold it to Kim who's a full time luthier at Celinder basses. He can build any kind of jazz copy which will be very high end quality, but the irony is, all he wants is a vintage jazz. I'm wondering if there are any other Fender copy luthiers who prefer vintage to their own stuff.

Cheers

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Someone makes a digital trumpet? And you sold a vintage Fender to buy it?

:eek: :rollno:

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    65 jazz? digital trumpet? wow..

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    It's interesting to say the least. What did you pay for it? Is it even available yet? Got anything more vintage to get rid of? I got a midi ukelele???

5. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I've been waiting for that trumpet for over 6 months now, it's near completion.

http://www.patchmanmusic.com/mdt.html

I have 2001 USA jazz that I intend to keep forever, it's far from 65 sound, but it feels more comfortable to me then the 65. Plus I get 35% off on a future Celinder bass, so it wasn't such a bad deal.

Cheers

6. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    What's wrong with a regular trumpet? Remember when keyboards with straps were cool? You might be sorry, man.

Quote from website: "The MDT is a wonderful instrument and a pleasure to play- and look at. It has a beautiful blue glow like an instrument right out of Star Trek!"

:scowl:

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    That thing looks like film equipment. Or an assault rifle. Is there a Talktrumpet.com?

8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Me neither.

*rimshot*

9. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Well, now that the ban on these has expired, I suppose it's perfectly legal to own one.

Aw hell, go grazy and get the 110 round drum clip to go with it!

Awww, I'm sorry. If it's your thing, do it up. You could probably load a MIDI patch that makes the thing sound like a 65 Jazz.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Wow, and I thought jazzbos hated the BG...

11. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002

With that bright blue light better get the flash clip too so they can't see you! ;)

12. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Daniel, I'm one man band, well a home studio and have to play each instrument, I have a Roland XV3080 unit loaded with expansion cards which have very good trumpet and other classical instruments sounds. A normal trumpet only covers certain octaves, then of course, I'll need a good microphone, a decent pre-amp and good acoustic room to record it in. Not to mention with a midi one I can cover not just trumpet, but most of the brass sounds. If bass guitar was my main instrument and i played in a band, then I would never consider selling it, but for me it's compromise. One day when I have the extra money, I'll buy it back or find another one, plus I'll get me few real trumpets and nice microphones, but for now. I do miss it, but something has to give. It's nice to see that you guys never run out of material, some took it personally that selling any vintage bass is a crime, I guess it's bass or nothing attitude here - which is fine by me. If that trumpet was much cheaper, then I could have kept both, but for now my 2001 USA jazz is my substitute.

Cheers

P.S. Keep'em coming, maybe we can find a "Last bass comic standing" on this forum :)

13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Sounds like someone made out on a '65 Jazz Bass.

14. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    good for you, man!
    go for it!
    look ahead, not behind....
    are you a museum or a musician?
    the music is way more important than the instrument, and to quote most of the grumps, "the sound is in your hands" anyway...
    your new jazz is just fine and i bet you do some rad stuff with the pet
    :D
    d

15. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I can speak only for my self...buy one back? It must be nice to have 4-10 grand to spend on a bass!

I guess for me, to get my hands on a vintage bass is a dream, one that I can't afford..and since there are a finite amount of these jewels left in the word..I feel that you traded more then just a bass, but something that should one day be in a museum.....they can always invent some new MIDI controller (only to have it be replaced and outdated by something else at the NAMM show next year) but you cannot reproduce the vintage fenders, no way, no how!

Just look at how many people rip the modern "vintage NOS" custom shop basses by Fender!

Same materials, same construction...and most people here (the non hippy sandwichers, of course) would gladly sell thier children to get what you just got rid of....

In the end, it's your decision, but don't expect much sympathy from me!!

Too many old style wind controllers have bit the dust, like the EWI, the lyricon, etc.....and I am afraid your star :crying: wars midi trumpet may eventually do the same....but a 65 bass will still be worth more then my car!

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Can't say I'd ever do the same, but I know the road you're taking. I'm a sax vet of 10 years, and am gassing for a Jupiter Tenor sax, so my trusty alto must go. I'm eyeballing that Yamaha Sax Midi Controller too, but I just don't have the need yet. Maybe you do.

More power to you, if you can play it and sound great, kudos to you. If the 65 Jazz wasn't your thing, you knew to get rid of a few thousand dollar anchor. Let it go and move on.

17. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Guys the jazz wasn't complete stock, only neck , body and neck plate, the rest was reissue. So it wasn't a collectors item. I bought it because it played great, and the guy who got it also bought it to play it not to store it for appreciation value. I don't believe that musical instruments should be stored at all, because the more you play the better they sound. I bought it for less then $2000 and sold it for less then $2000, it's still a lot of money, but certainly not in the 5k. Also my 2001 jazz is more balanced bass with no neck dive, slightly thinner neck, which I like and has a graphite reinforced neck, so in 40 years it will not move as much as a vintage jazz, plus i got it for $300. The 65 I owned fro less then 6 months, now if I was 50 year old and owned it for 30 years, then I wouldn't even consider it no matter what. Actually when i started to look for a modern jazz, I tried to find one that had a similar wood grain in the neck as my 65, and i did that's why it plays great as well.

Cheers

18. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    Hey, that's cool. I completely understand. I know how expensive mics, preamps, and recording gear can get! :eek:

19. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    (Terminator) I need ah plasmah rifle in the 50 wahtt rahnge.

(Gun Store Clerk) Hey pal, just what you see here......