Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I sold out....I think.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Nov 12, 2003.

1. I have an interview with a modeling agency next weekend. Who'da thunk? :smug:

Wish me luck, I guess... :meh:

2. Good luck. Your internet handle is so hot ;)

3. Well now I've got some
    A-dvice for you, little buddy.
    Before you point the finger
    You should know that
    I'm the man,
    And if I'm the man,
    Then you're the man, and
    He's the man as well so you can
    Point that f' finger up your a.

Mr.Death A little to close to the real F and A word. Block more out next time.

This has been a friendly reminder from your neighborhood MOD. If this was actually a warning you would have been promptly notified by Paul that your account was suspended. But once again this is just a reminder. :D

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was just listening to that song. (Tool - Hooker with a penis, for those that dont know)

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Can I call you Gigolo Jake from now on? It has a nice ring, maybe it could be your stage name.

7. Deuce Jr Male Bass Guy:smug:

Good luck man...even though im not a big fan of the modeling-business:meh:

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hopefully your interview is NOT with Wilhemina, TCT, Fashion Rock or any of the other names Lou Perlman and those scammers from Orlando have come up with.

If it is, cancel it. It will be a waste of your time. Unless you want to spend $1200 to get "modeling" jobs passing out food snacks at the grocery store on Saturday. Well, you might get a chance to hand out flyers at movie debuts as well.

-Mike

9. I'll keep that stuff in mind, MJ5150 and Smash.

It's a modeling college, and if they accept you (they'll let me know at the interview) and the ones asked to stay will be asked to do an audtion for Foleys (i think it is them) right there after the interview. Acting scouts will be there also (which is the only reason why im going anyways).

I'm not taking this too seriously, but I figure might as well try it. :D

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

As you click on the link, it POPS a few annoying windows, so I pasted the article here.

Gigolo school raided for overcharging its students

AP , TAIPEI
    Friday, Nov 14, 2003,Page 4
    Police raided a gigolo training center in Panchiao and arrested nine of the school's operators for overcharging students, officials said yesterday.

The operators allegedly inflated tuition bills by adding in expensive clothes and mobile phones, police officer Liu Tai-shun said. They were also accused of having links to organized crime, Liu said.

Classes were held in an apartment building in Panchiao, Liu said.

During the raid on Wednesday night, police officers seized fancy clothes, earrings and lecture notes as evidence, officers said.

The school's operators ran classified ads offering ``well-paid moonlighting jobs'' and collected up to NT$200,000 for several weeks of training courses, police said.

"The ads had good results. The school received more than 200 applications in just two weeks," Liu said.

Men can legally work as hosts in bars and clubs, but it's illegal to solicit sex from customers.

A local newspaper reported that the school gave lectures on eloquence, posture, dancing and popular games played at gigolo bars for the potential "male public relations workers," a Taiwanese term for gigolos.

"They were also lectured on taboos at the bars, such as wearing white socks, smoking while walking or walking across the dance floor," it said.
    This story has been viewed 20293 times.
    http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2003/11/14/2003075781

11. Well, I'm pretty sure its not THAT much of a ripoff. This is an actual college that visited my school on college night, meaning they had administration's permission to go there, and they've been in business over 25 years.

But im still gonna keep my eyes open.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Watch 'yer back buddy! :D And, good luck!

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well jrthebassguy you seem to have a good handle on what you are getting into. From what you have described, this college is not anything like what I was warning you about. Sounds like you will be fine.

I hope it works out for you. You can make a good living in this industry. I did.

-Mike

14. UPDATE:

My interview was today. It was surprisingly well. When I walked in I was ready to be turned around and leave (what self esteem I have) since by the way I dress and walk you'd think I'd be the posterchild for everything against this industry.

So first the lady comes in and talks to all of us and lays some ground rules on what they look for. Among other things, she said all males must be 5'10" or higher to be a model and no exceptions, but actors can be of any size

So, then was my 1-on-1 interview. I was as up front and honest as possible, telling her my best traits etc. I told her exactly what I wanted to do (be an actor) and wouldn't mind partaking in being a model (since the courses cover both). I said "I'm here to be an actor, but I'm afraid I can't be a model...I'm only 5'8" and she replies "Well, In your case I think we can make an exception" So I guess that means I'm good as gold. I asked what my chances were and she gave me a thumbs up and said extremely good. You see, they're accepting 12 men, period. Courses are $650 for all my training, which isn't too bad.

Also, those who are accepted to the school are made clients in their agency, and their contracts gurantee at least some work, at the least maing $150/hr for smaller department stores, on to the upwards of $1,500 for stuff like Abercrombie.

She said she'll call me either tuesday or wednesday on whether I'm officially in or not.