1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I (Sort Of) Prefer A Squier To My Geddy Lee Jazz!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dannnnn, Apr 13, 2010.

1. dannnnn

dannnnn

Nov 14, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I haven't had a chance to play a Squier VM jazz until today and in terms of playability, it was better than my Geddy. :meh:
    I'm not saying the construction or sound was better, although it wasn't bad at all, but it played great. The wheels are turning now.........:ninja:

2. julieslick

julieslick

May 19, 2008
    endorsing artist¬ólakland+gk+d'addario+eventide+pigtronix+digitech
    Well, the quality control is obviously not there, but I've found some magical Squiers... I still love my Musicmaster - fantastic feel and sound... great first bass.

3. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I played a couple Geddy Lee jazz basses at the Guitar Center in northern VA. I didn't like the neck much - seemed too thin for my liking. Maybe I'd get used to it after a while, but that was my initial reaction after playing one for 20 minutes or so.

I'm not much of a jazz bass fan either - as far as the looks go.

FWIW,

--jack

4. you can send me your Geddy Lee than.

I'll even buy you a BRAND NEW SQUIER!

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Think that's bad? I prefer my Squier VM Jazz to my 1973 Geddy Lee (1973 black Fender Jazz with maple neck and black inlays/binding)!

I am gigging with my Squier almost exclusively and I have a dozen higher end basses including the '73 Jazz.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Squier VM basses ARE absolutely hit or miss and I played 4 to find mine. I would not buy one sight unseen.

In any case, mine plays effortlessly and sounds great. How can you go wrong for the $269 I paid for the Squier.... NEW?

6. marklaforest

marklaforest

Feb 5, 2010
    Ottawa
    I'm going through this right now as well. Just picked up a CV squire P in fiesta red and it's replaced the main steed - my geddy lee - that i've been rocking for years. Maybe it's just cause the squire is new and the fun will wear off, but I like everything about it better so far. Sound, feel, weight, everything. Could be a P bass vs. jazz thing too.

7. Raab900

Raab900

Apr 11, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Endorsing Artist: Holcomb Guitars, LaBella Strings
    Haha. yeah, me too! I used to have a Geddy Lee and I loved it but the neck eventually warped beyond repair because it was so thin. But now that I know way more about taking care of my guitars I would love to own another Geddy Lee bass.

8. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    I have played both the Squier VM P-bass and still own the jazz bass bought both sight unseen, and man i love em. I really want the P-bass back, but the necks on those precisions don't jazz with me....

Great feel on the VM jazz though, i bought it over a Geddy Lee bass too (and saved huge!)

9. dannnnn

dannnnn

Nov 14, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I just don't know what to do about this. The Geddy just oozes cool, but it's not the most comfortable to play. Saving my money to get a Squier is tough because of bills, kid, etc. I thought about getting a new neck for the Geddy, but then it wouldn't be a Geddy anymore. If I sold the Geddy I could mod the crap out of a (good) VM.
    What to do..........?

10. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Good for you! I've got a couple of cheapies that I prefer over just about anything. Just because it's expensive or has a top name doesn't necessarily mean it's right for you. When money is tight, you gotta do what you gotta do! Sell the Getty, fix up your Squier and maybe has some cash left over for some goodies!

11. marklaforest

marklaforest

Feb 5, 2010
    Ottawa
    I agree. I was looking around on warmoth and other sites and pricing bodies and necks for a project P bass when I walked into the local store and saw the squire in the same colour I wanted for less than what it would cost me to buy just a body from warmoth. I bought it thinking that if it was crap, I'd just use the body and go ahead with the project. But it's not crap, in fact it's way better than I ever could have imagined. Won't need to build one now.