1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I sound awful through headphones

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bigboy_78, Jul 17, 2014.

1. I've just been fooling around with my Zoom B3 playing with headphones and really hated my playing. Is that what I really sound like? Heaps of string noise, string vibrating that I though were muted, clack, clack, clack.

Does everyone sound poopie through headphones or am I just pooper than I thought?

2. I play a lot through headphones. It's normal to hear a lot more buzz, string noise and general uncleanness. I sort of enjoy it, if anything it helps clean up your technique.

zontar and Winfred like this.
  3. Slapstyle

Slapstyle

Dec 3, 2009
    Maine
    Yeah, for sure. That's really you and you do suck that bad. I'm just kidding. The phones are way less forgiving. Every time I track a record, I'm reminded how much I need to work on my technique. Lots of extraneous finger noise. Easy to hide with an amp and easier to hide behind a band. I say keep the phones on and continue to practice. I should join you, for sure.

newmusicmichael likes this.
  4. Cool. I'll work on cleaning it up. If it sounds clean in the phones it'll sound perfect under the band.

Atshen, Linnin and Winfred like this.
  5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Try recording yourself. that shows up
    a lot of dirt. I use a looper to help clean up my playing.

eukatheude and Linnin like this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Also if you're playing with a super low action, fret buzz and string noise are accentuated, and it also serves to exacerbate sloppy technique.

Atshen likes this.
  7. Emphasis on A LOT of dirt. You might actually get a bit depressed. That's what happened to me, but it got a little better when I realised it was tracking with a 70ms delay. :p

8. NeroJazz

NeroJazz

May 2, 2011
    Denmark
    I almost exclusively practice using quality headphones and it did wonders for my technique. I play a lot more cleanly now.

9. Lemmy doesn't seem to care. It's not sloppy but there's a lot of action taking place. I love it.

10. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Big +1 to this. And use good headphones that have good detail and don't over-emphasize the low frequencies.

11. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I first heard myself recorded in a studio alone 25 years ago, and heard the same things you speak of. After all this time, I have tamed a lot of the noise I don't want, but it will never be completely gone. Playing closer to the bridge helped with the clacking noises a lot!

12. locisbrelm

locisbrelm

Nov 6, 2009
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Bass
    Try turning down the high end in your tone. I find it helps.

deathsdj likes this.
  13. Headphones will help clean up your technique, but I find this more so with recording yourself. That playback doesn't lie. Very humbling and at times depressing.