i sound like crap

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by _Casper411_, Aug 21, 2000.

1. _Casper411_

Aug 21, 2000
    hey whats up. i have only been playing my bass for about 6 months. i figured i should kinda sound good. but last week i got out a little recorder and recorded my self... i sound like i have something up my but. everything is very slow.
    i need help. i wish you could listen to me so you could tell me what im doing wrong.
    but anyway i wanted to know everything i need to know about playing the bass. i am not taking lessons ( they're too expensive). i want to learn how to solo with the bass. maybe there is a book or something that i can get. right now i play by tablature. i don't know how to read music... i am just realy confused.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Sounding like crap is a Great Thing! - and I mean it. It allows you room to grow. Also you really seem interested in becoming a good player. Pkr2 is on track when he says hum the bass line. An old teacher of mine once said, "If you can sing it, you can play it." But overall, I would tend to recommend the following:
    1. Get 1 or 2 lessons - at this point in your development, you want to make sure your technique is sound (no pun intended)
    2. Try to get a well rounded musical education - different styles, different techniques, learn theory and harmony. Knowing the chords is just not enough. I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are still in school, sign up for a basic music theory class. It will give you a good foundation.
    3. Jam with friends as muh as possible. That will help develop your ear. Your ears are THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL for playing.
    4. Keep recording yourself - being able to hear yourself grow and progress is important.
    5. Practice at least 20 minutes a day - NO LESS. Spend 5-7 minutes on the things you hate, but are important like reading. Then practice fun stuff.
    6. Listen to everything - not just your favorite stuff. A wide range of influences are good
    Allow your self to suck!!!! Allow yourself to sound like crap!!!. It is OK. True growth comes in not judging ourselves. If you judge yourself to harshly, the only thing that can come of it is a loss of self-esteem and a loss of a sense of self-worth, that gets us nowhere! Give yourself the time in a non-judgemental way to develop your talents. For more info about this read "Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is interesting. But on the old board, I'm sure that only the "named person" in each "Ask the Pros" could reply - is this an oversight inthe move to the new board or something that the moderators or pros asked for?

I often thought that I would have liked to "chip in" with follow ups on answers to questions that interested me, but was previously unable to do this.

Like on this question I would follow up with - what about those of us who are restricted by work commitments so as not to be able to practice every day, but can spend longer at other times? Do you think it is just as good to go for less frequent but longer sessions or do you think that the "every day" part is vital to progress?
  4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I actually like the fact that others can respond. Although I do have the ability to remove a post if I desire. I have done so, once, because I thought the advice was off target.

I readily admit that I'm not the best at doing the daily thing, but I do notice a marked difference when I can - even if it is only for 20 minutes or so. One of the problems with practicing too long in any given sitting is the idea that it becomes "work"

5. I have also been playing for about 6 monthes, and my biggest difficulty is getting lessons, as they are not cheap. I havn't even gotten around to recording myself, I don't think that I could stand to listen to it =) The thing that I have been looking for for a long time is a good bass book. Something that has good excercises in it, and introductory stuff in it, because after 6 monthes, I can read tabs, and I can play very simple things, and I think the people around me are tired of "Another One Bites the Dust" and most everything by nirvana... HELP!

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I like many of the Musicians Institute books. They are some of the few books that have a good balance of technique, theory and exercises.
    I also find a great site is http://www.bassbooks.com. You can find books based on your taste and ability level.

7. Hey, thanks Mike, I will visit that website right now. Just thought I'd reply first.