Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I start my lessons today

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Noobai, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Finally, after 1 year of playing I start lessons today :)

Hope lessons are everything Ive heard and more :D

2. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Hope it goes well.

You should find that your teacher will challenge you to do things that you wouldn't have thought of - or look into differnt approaches.

I'm about to finish having lessons because I'm moving house, but I've learnt far more than I would have done without a teacher. I'm now looking for a new teacher (Dublin Ireland anybody ? ? )

regards,
    Andy

3. where do are you taking lessons? (fillout your profile GRRRRR)

there may be other TBers who have taken lesson from the same teacher.

and good luck

4. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Good luck, have fun :)

http://www.musiciansfriend.co.uk/ check that out, a UK based directy of teachers, with a handy search function :)

5. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Was it everything that you thought it would be ?

Have you improved beyond your wildest dreams ?

Yoshi - Thanks for that link, unfortunately it doesn't seem to cover Southern Ireland, but thanks anyway.

6. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Oh, it was great. Only 30 minutes, and they went by much too fast.

He gave me good excersises to learn my fretboard and better practice with basic theory, like the cycle of fourths (fifths), was finally exaplined and given excersises for.

Great guy, can't wait for next week :)

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    half hour a week?

Maybe you should look into taking some more lesson time... i cant see how much can this guy teach you in that little time

then again i take 4 hours of bass lessons a week (two hours on tuesday and two hours on friday)

8. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    I agree. But hour long lessons are $140 a month.

I may try this guy for a month, then try another guy for a month. So, well see.

9. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Wow, Dave. 2 two hour lessons a week? That's cool. But I think most students couldn't handle 2 hour lessons in a week. For most students I find that a half an hour is plenty. The attention span of most students isn't that long, and if you go over too much information, they won't fully understand the concepts. The more I teach in a lesson, the more I would expect the student to practice during the week, and students have many distractions from practicing. I'm not surprised that you find the time, as I imagine you are a quick study and a diligent student, but I don't believe you to be the typical student.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    almost 3 years of bass playing.. no lessons.. no wonder i suck:(

11. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    I would love to have 2 hour lessons, at least once a week. I am not the average student

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    oh... sorry :)

well the important thing here is that you are taking lessons, even a half hour a week of teacher is better than a entire month of practicing alone in your room to tabs you found to your fave band songs

mine are like $50 a month (lol cheap)

then again im in Mexico and its hard to find decent music schools and this teacher is really worth it...

i have to share the class with other 3 guys (and it doesn't affect my learning, actually is a lot of fun)

:)

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yes Im very diligent and dedicated but... I also study Med School which takes most of my time...

I actually dont play as much outside the music school, I do my bass homeworks, play the occassional little gig but thats it.

also the "two hours twice a week" was the schedule of the music school, it wasn't like i had a choice over the teaching time ;)

so in resume, I take those 4 hours to study *and* practice bass (also, bass is a hobby to me... not getting serious about it... it's all about the Med School cuz i want to be a FuNkY DoCtOr :D )