I started working on a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    When the bassplayer in my new band asked me if I could make him a bass that had a really flashy "Metal" look but at the same time would fit into a normal Bass guitar case I took the challenge head on. And ended up making a body out of Pine using our Explorer routing template and our Alembic Routing template, resulting in the shape you see in my modified picture.

The actual bass has a one piece maple ESP Jazz bass neck, Gotoh Tuners, kent Armstrong pickups and switchcraft electronics, And it looks way better than this composite image. It also sounds really powerful, the Kent Armstrongs really make this bass sound good. At our Bassplayer's request I kept the electronics as simple as Possible, just a master volume and a Pickup switch, nothing more. The Bass will be tuned BEAD and the light resonat Pinewood translates that tuning very well. When strapped on, the bass is slightly neck heavy but less so than I expected it to be.

Our bassplayer who is very pleased with how this bass turned out asked me if I could finish it dark green so at the moment of writing, the bass is dissasembled awaiting it's paintjob.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Pretty nice I'd say...but different. It's like how Alembic would've done an explorer if they didn't already do it differently.