Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I started working on a new guitar

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Blazer, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Okay then, working at a luthier's workshop has some advantages when it comes to experimenting with guitars. :wink:

My last piece of work was as you might remember a Jazzmaster-ish solid with P90 pickups, an alder body and a neck salvaged from a korean made Cort electric.

[​IMG]

That one was meant as a test guitar to see what I could do in that context. This time around however I started work on a Professionally made full scale JazzMaster. This one will have custom made pickups made after my suggestions (Good ol' Harry Haussel) A grade AAA flame maple neck with ebony fingerboard, and a body made of Pine.

That's right, you read it well. I used pine for the body. The thing with that is for two reasons:
    1. the very first Fender Prototype guitars that would eventually become the Telecaster were made from Pine so it was meant as a tribute to Leo Fender.
    2. My boss gave me this wonderful book from Robert Benedetto on how to make an archtop guitar on my birthday and I was really inspired about one particullar picture which shows an accoustic archtop guitar made from inferior woods, made as an experiment to see what difference it would make in feel and sound. Benedetto Himself has a wonderful (and utterly hillarious) quote on the resulting guitar.

"Despite the obvious, this guitar ended up playing and sounding every bit as wonderful as the other high end guitars I made."

So one day when I was helping my mother out to bring stuff to the junkyard when I spotted an old table coming from a restaurant or at least a bar. It was made from solid pine which had the exact thickness that's used in fender guitars. I figured I could get a couple of bodies from that, so I took it with me.

When my boss saw the body as I was making it he took it in his hands and remarked that the resulting guitar would be one of my best. I surely hope so. Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted on the progress as it's coming along.