Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I starved a mosquito today

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I gave blood for the first time today. There are two annual blood drives every year at my HS. This is the first one I was eligable for, so it was my first time. It wasn't bad at all, the anticipation was tons worse than the actual procedure (it always is). I encourage everyone who is eligable to go out and donate.

I'm glad that I did it, and don't regret the little bit of pain at all. It feels good knowing that my blood might save a life :)

2. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Are you type O negative? If so, cheers bub :D

Seriously, congrats for doing it! I've thought about doing it a few times but am a wuss...

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    thats awesome Nick, glad you feel good about it...i can't do it till im 18:meh:

how do you determine what blood type you are??

4. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    as long as u don't have any diseases, you can still donate can't you?

5. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    It depends. Theres actually pretty strict guidelines, which makes sense.

For example, if you've had a piercing within the last year you cant give blood (UK rules).

6. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    This is a serious thread, and talking about donating semen isn't very funny. S-E-M-E-N (fyi).

Clay, the only way to know is to get a blood test taken. I don't know mine, but they screen and test donated blood for diseases, type, etc before it gets given to a recipient.

There is no way to get a disease from donating blood. Everything that comes in contact with your body is disposable, one use. No worries :)

7. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Some of the guidlines are whacky.

Here are a few:
    • Cannot have lived in or visited the United Kingdom for a total time of 3 months or more from 1980-1996
    • Cannot have lived in any other European country for a total of more than 5 years since 1980
    • Been to the dentist in the past 72 hours

With more and more, none making very much sense. I guess the Europe rules are for Mad Cow Disease, etc.

Meh, its all good :)

8. I had a bad experience donating blood. It was a year ago. I passed out. I found out later that the same thing happens to my mom when she has tried to donate blood in the past and the same thing happened to my brother. I wish she would have told me before hand. I really do suggest all of you to donate blood.

9. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    A positive... 4 1/2 gallons :)

-robert

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Yes indeed. I am up to about 4 gallons me-self. Next to the last time I attempted to donate, the nurse missed my vein. Three times!!! They failed, and I was turned away. I felt crappy, but was able to come back for the next drive, got a more competent nurse and bled away.

Hopefully, it helps. O positive

11. Do these guidelines have anything to do with body weight relative to height etc.? For some odd reason, I remember hearing something about that, which is why I never went to donate blood. Then again, I guess I could always just ask them next time, right?

And fwiw, I'm type O.

12. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The only size limit is you have to weigh at least 110 pounds (about 50 kg for you metric people)

13. Oh. Well gee, I guess I'm eligible now, then. I'll have to see about when they stop by here again.

14. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

Thats not to completely uncommon, and we were told not to be alarmed if it happened.

I really got scared last year when my friend passed out and had a siezure from donating. It was because he didn't eat before, and that caused his electrolyte levels to go too low. I made sure to have a good breakfast ;)

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    wouldnt it like... suck... if you donate blood... then like... 2 weeks later you are in a car wreck.... and like, the steering wheel has gone through your butt your something... and your bleeding, and you need blood... and you just end up with the same blood you donated?

16. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

Wouldn't it like... suck... if you just... stopped talking...? Oh wait, it would be great.

Why would that suck? That's the reason to donate! That is the mindset to be in. Think about how it might save your mom's life when she gets hurt and needs blood. Or your sister's. Or your own.

17. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

:D :D

18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This is weird, since MCD originated in the UK.

19. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Umm.... isn't the UK part of Europe?

And, the etc. is what i was mainly refering to when I said "Europe". MCD is UK, but I am sure there is other health risks from other parts of Europe that would exclude people from blood donor eligability.

20. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    no... it would suck cause you would be like "what the hell? I tried to give my blood to someone else and now your giving it back to me? curse thee!"

or something.