Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I STILL can't decide... UGH....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHack, Aug 5, 2003.

Which option would YOU choose?

Poll closed Aug 19, 2003.
  1. Lakland 55-01 & $700 worth of amp?

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. Lakland 55-02 & a decent practice amp?

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Something other than listed. (plz explain below)

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Screw the cash, sell the house & buy a rig from hell!

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ok, I'm a newcomer around here, & have posted a couple of times,, trying to pick peoples brains for what current trends are,,,solid equipment choices,,, etc...

Point is, similar to our 'retired guitar' player, I'm in a situation where I have a decent starting budget, but am somewhat misguided,, confused,, being a whiney little ^%$#%#, how to spend my cash.

So, how would YOU spend $1500, on a new bass & amp. Here's the catch, I'm sold on a Lakland Skyline. I just can't decide which is more important, a higher end bass, a higher end amp, or striking a good blend.

HELP!

2. All I can say is that even a 4500$ boutique bass will sound bad through a crappy amp. I think you should split the money 50/50 between a decent bass and a decent amp. Good luck!

3. It's kind of hard to answer your question because you don't give a lot of information in your profile. Are you going to be gigging? What kind of music? What instruments are in your band and what amps do they use? How big are the rooms you'll be playing? Do you plan to go through the PA?

Obviously, if you plan to play in big clubs, you'll need different gear than you'll need to play in the basement for personal fun.

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    If you have 1500 to spend, you could get a 55-02 and still have close to 500 to spend on a cabinet and head (or a good high power combo)

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i think a used lakland..around $500 or $600..check the 4 sale forum...theres one in there....then a fender 400? those amps are awsome!!! 400 watts 210's..

and check out nemesis amps..the combos are light and sound great!!!! you can get a 210 combo and a 210 or 212 ext. cab.

here www.basscentral.com

they have a 410 combo also..and it can drive an ext. cab.. 210 watts. and they do sound great...go for that one :D

steve

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    +1 :bassist:

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    That's a tough call, I guess it depends what your needs are. Are you going to be gigging right away? If not don't compormise on the axe and gradually build your cab and head. Personally I couldn't play with a average bass. I could start off with my dream bass on go from there, layaway is a beautiful thing.

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    My personal preference based on my experience is to plan on spending $700 on a basic rig that sounds good. You will have to shop the used market, but you can find a decent rig for that.

Of course, after spending that much on your rig, you will have to go with the 55-01 to stay in budget, but I don't see this as a bad thing. Shop around the used market. I bet you can come up with a 55-01 for around $550. 55-01s are really good quality instruments. Yes, the 55-02 is higher quality, but I was quite happy with the 55-01 I had. Ok, not completely happy with 5 strings, but had it been a 44-01, I'd still have it today.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Get the 55-01 and a decent amp. There are better basses than the 55-01, sure, but it is a killer bass for the price. I own 3 basses that cost more than my wife's 55-01, but it still sees a lot of action.

10. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    if you're gigging and recording (or plan to within the next year or so) i'd say get the best amp you can afford. (i.e. you can gig with a 55-01 and good amp but will have problems with a 55-01 and 15-watt crate amp)

otherwise, i'd say get the bass you really want now, and you can upgrade the amp later.

11. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    There has already been some good advice given, so I will say this:

Don't worry about trends, get something that "you" like and is comfortable with.
    There are a lot of good used basses and amps out there.

You can score some really nice used basses for $700-$1000 and still have enough for a good amp.

12. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I'd go with a used 55-02, a used Carvin R1000 or R-600 head and a used Avatar 4x10. If you take your time and shop around, you should be able to pull it off.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Thx for the great feedback everyone. I've updated my profile.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would get a Warwick Corvette Standard and an AMpeg B100r Amp. If that is too expensive, i would Get a musicman stingray bass instead.

15. In my opinion, you should not approach this situation with the idea that you could buy a crappy piece of gear and upgrade later because selling gear is difficult and you often lose money doing it.
    Instead, I think you should buy the best gear you can, even if you have to piece it together in time. I would recommend buying the bass that you will be happy with in the long term and whatever money left over use to buy a bass amp or part of one. If you're gigging, you could just buy a head and rent cabinets for gigs until you have the cash to buy one, or you could buy a decent powered combo for your stage monitor. At most venues your bass will be going direct to the PA so having a great sounding rig onstage is less important than just being able to hear yourself.

16. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas

+2 ;) On the 55-02 and amp

17. My opinion is, that you should get a nice bass. From my experiences, a good bass sounds well even through a crappy amp. Get a good bass. That's yours. For a bigger gig, you may even rent a bigger amp until you save the money for the next purchase.

Good luck.

Jure