Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I still can't decide yet...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shri, Apr 4, 2004.

Which one?

Poll closed Apr 18, 2004.
  1. American Fender Jazz bass deluxe with J retro preamp and dimarzio pickups

22 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. Pedulla Rapture J2

19 vote(s)
    33.9%
  3. Musicman Bongo

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
  1. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Which one for you would have the warmest tone, very deep, very round? To be able to play jazz, rock, hard rock, metal, funk,evrerything without having a tone too much modified. thanks !

2. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    no more votes??? :cool:

3. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    anyone to tell me his experiences with these basses? :)

4. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    As for the rapture J2 , how would sound the maple fingerboard version (J2000) compared to the roosewood one? I guess it's more bright sounding.Does it loose its warmth then?

5. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    if you're going to swap out the stock pre for a j-retro in the jazz, why dont you save yourself some cash and get a standard MIA to put the retro in?

6. looks like its gonna be a close one.

i voted for the bongo, for versatility, sound, and playability.

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I can't say for sure about all three... What I can say is that of the three I'd take the Pedulla..

8. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    For sheer bang for the bucks, you can't go wrong with the Fender Jazz Dude! :hyper:

9. I'd go with the pedulla, but I'm not you. if you can - go out and play each one for a while, usually one with speak to you above the rest.

I have yet to play bad pedulla, but I have played several bad fenders, and I just don't like the looks of the music man bongo.

10. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    i thought the deluxe ones had a better quality but maybe it's only the preamp, the pickups and the mechanics and as i would anyway change them... :cool: then it's maybe better to get an american standard.

11. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    the problem is that i have never played a rapture J2 as it's quiet impossible to find one in paris. If i want one, then i have to order it so i can't try one. But i have owned a thunderbass and loved it!! But it was passive. The rapture is active so i prefer now. Is the maple fingerboard version very efficient and maybe has a more precise sound?

12. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Well but of course I voted for the Bongo.

I have a few Jazz basses around here and would not hesitate to take one to any type of gig, but the Bongo usually goes with me when I head for the door.

Jazz bass: single coil heaven.
    Bongo: double humbucker nirvana.

Very different animals. I'm avoiding comment on that particular Pedulla because I've never had experience with one.

But....buena suerte!

13. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    i agree the bongo really impressed me. very clean sound and very punchy but the tone is different, it has its own personnality due to the MM pickups. one needs also a powerful amp to make the bongo sing correctly i think. But i love the warmth that the bartolini pickups can give, even if they are not really versatile... the bongo can be annoying when i slap also because the pickups ar close to the neck but that's maybe a habit to get

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    For fun, I found myself over at GC this past weekend & they had a 4 & 5 string Bongo hanging on the wall... I liked the way it felt.

15. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    and about the sound. i find it pretty clear and resonnant

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    VERY much so... I can see where it might be annoying to some. But, I played it thru a 350x & an SWR 2*10...
    I'm not that familiar w/ that amp OR the controls on a Bongo... Plus, JOE SALESprick, was more interest in selling some schlub a GSX200, than answering my questions...

ANYWAY, the Bongo has ALOT of ZING to it... But, given the chance to really experiment....

17. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I have never yet played a bad pedulla as well....fender QC is all over the map but so what else is new. Went to my local GC and played that Bongo. I dont get it, way to many bells and whilstles for me but the sales guys are so off the wall there that it probably soured my outlook. :bassist:
    Keeping the Funk Alive in P-town for another 100 years!!!

18. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    i agree, too many knobs on the bongo... and i find that the only ones i loves (maybe because there were the only ones that were really useful to change the sound) were the low mid and the bass knobs. The treble is not that good and the high mids i don't like... And i can't get the sound that i'm really excepting from a bass. A fat and dark sound as the bartolinis electronics only can do i think. I have a thunderbass at home at the moment, does the rapture sound like that? Dark, warm and fat.A very bassy sound, with much guts. lol

19. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    you should try pedullas then ! :D