1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i still have a few finishing questions that i couldnt find on the site...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Da Funk Docta, Jul 23, 2004.

1. I am planning on refinishing my wine red jazz bass in polyesture to a wine red in laquer. I was wondering if i have it right befor i start sanding my finish off.
    heres what is in my mind right now
    -sand off all the finish
    -use an oil based filler and then sand off excess
    -put on white primer?
    -spray on the wine red laquer (how many times?)
    -spray on a highgloss coat of laquer
    -polish it

is that correct? and i missing something? do i need the primer? should i sand paint off at all? should i hang it to spray it, or lay it down, or does it matter?
    its alot to ask i know.... but it would be greatly apreciated
    thanx!

2. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    Mainly i painted cars, but your goin in the right diretions

use a tintable primer, get it semi close to your base color ( lighter if anything, not darker ) block sand it down with 600 grit.

if your goin for a solid color, usually 2-3 medium wet coats will do ya in, sometimes a light block sand with some 1500 to get out the junk in the paint, let dry fully ( i like 1 day )

next day, coat of clear, let it cure, wet sand with 600-1000 to get ripple/orange peel out, second coat,same thing, 3rd coat, 1000 grit sanding, then 1500-2000 grit to get a nice mirror shine, followed by a 2 part buffing compound.

cheers PB

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I take a differnet approach in this area. The color and shade of it can be used to lighten or darken your final finish color. Not a whole lot but a subtle difference sometimes makes it just what you wanted. Just something to keep in mind.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Do I understand that you want the same color bass, but you want lacquer instead of polyester? Why?