I stink at bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Duce-hands, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Dungmaggot

Dungmaggot

Mar 20, 2011
    Yes!!! In college all learning came from books so when I started bass I, being an Educated Person figured the best way to learn was to read about theory and style and all that. Four books later I just started playing and have done a hell of a lot better just plunking away at the strings. The only book I found useful was Progressive Bass Guitar and only because it happens to fit perfectly under my amp where one of the feet came off. :rolleyes:

2. onetrickpony

onetrickpony

Jan 5, 2006
    Sweden
    This:
    and this:
    Memorised. Forever. :)

3. maritimer

maritimer

Oct 16, 2009
    North East
    There are lots of great pointers here but at the end of the day just play and remember, there is always going to be someone better or worse than you. Simple as that. It doesn't matter where you fit in the world of bass players. What does matter is that you enjoy yourself and take the time to explore the instrument. Have set practice goals but keep in mind that playing with no objective often results in the best creativity and learning. Regardless of what instrument you take up, music is like jumping in a river. At times the current is strong and it's best not to fight it and go with the flow. The more often you are in the water, the better you are at reading the current(s).

4. slapfunk987

slapfunk987

Feb 8, 2011
    1st- Learn to play by ear. If you can hear and then play it, nothing can hinder you in your learning. You just have to listen to different and sometimes harder material to keep developing..... Remember that music is nothing more than a bunch of small phrases and cliches bunched together to make 3 minute or so song.
    2nd- Since you already ran through the books I assume you read music pretty well. Get harder material to better learn to sight read and what you do read, and sounds good too you, take it and break it down into the phrases & cliches that you like and get rid of the ones you don't like... This will help you to learn to IMPROVISE!!! (((If you ever notice, most great musicians play the same (or related) phrases in every song they do. This is because that phrase resonates with them & when they improvise(solo) it will come out.)))
    3rd- If you got a cheap camera, better start recording yourself. SEE what you do wrong, Hear if your in time, Hear your groove, Hear IF YOU STAY IN SAME KEY((really imporatant)), etc...
    4th- Put on a drum machine or drum beat and play what comes natural. Add all those cliches and phrases together and see what comes out of you. Doesn't matter if it sounds like a song thats already been done or not. You'll get better at IMPROVISING as you do it more. Use spacing between the phrases as well.. What you dont play matters just as much as what you do.
    5th- Listen to songs you like and see if you can add extra notes to the bass lines to make it more funky. Ask yourself if a bass line is six notes with moderate spacing between them, can you add 2 or 3 more notes and tighten up the space and still make it sound good & funky??? If so play that instead of the original bassline and by doing this it makes the song yours with this little bit of improv, instead of just playing note for note.

5. Sizlack

Sizlack

Aug 17, 2009
    Dallas, TX.
    I've been playing less than two years now...felt as if I had hit a brick wall about a year in. Started looking on craigslist for people to play with and found a drummer who was just starting out, so I played with him for a few months and felt as if I was making a little progress again. Got a call from a local cover band shortly there after...went to the audition scared to death that I was gonna be laughed outta the place. Apparently I wasn't as bad as I thought...50+ songs later I gearing up for my 5th gig with them this saturday.
    So everyone on here thats suggesting you find some one else to play with is absolutley correct. I gave me a great confidence boost as well as a good kick in the A to keep going.

6. Indeed. I agree with trying to find a good teacher. I was lucky to find a teacher near me, who is a kick-ass bassist (no guitarist before, bassist for 30+ years), who really do look like he enjoys what he does, and who has an affinity for jazz (I'm a rocker, but having jazz concepts under my belt could make me more versatile).

With him, I feel like in four months I learned on bass twice what I learned on guitar for a whole year by myself. It's true not only because I already had a bit more experience with playing guitar before I started bass (I started playing guitar out of the blue), but because he keeps a good eye on my mistakes. I couldn't do that myself because I had hardly any experience.

I hope you find a good teacher and/ or some buddies that share your passion for music.

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Inactive

Dec 11, 1999
    +1

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021