Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I stumbled upon a $300 SVTCL in a garage sale.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by syciprider, Feb 26, 2006.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Saw it while driving by. I stopped and looked into it. Blue label SVTCL. The lady of the house said it's broken. I ran home for a cab and a bass and went back. I warmed it up and spied on the bias lights. They were all green. I plugged in and slowly turned the gain and master. It makes this squealing sound. I figured, heck it's probably the preamp tube. Worst case scenario I have to use an outboard pre. WTH, I have a Sansamp anyway. I forked the $$$ over. Drove to the local music store, bought three 12AX7s just in case.

Three new pre tubes later.

She works! I couldn't believe how noisy the fan on this thing is but it works and it's loud!

[​IMG]

I'm thinking about selling it so I can get the tube amp I really want. I figure this will go quick for $600 to $700. But part of me wants to hold onto it because, hey, I put some time into it and that makes it somewhat special. The Aggie's liveliness balances the Ampeg's tone well.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Hey, just for that, you get first right of refusal if I decide to sell.

3. Hehe! I'm in need of a good head! If you like it though, don't worry about me. :D

300 Tube watts is pretty loud eh? :eek:

4. wow man awesome find. i'm really looking into an all tube head too, wish i could have driven past this ladys house.

have fun with such an awesome head.

nice rig btw and hey thats $1 per watt on a tube head.. incredible.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Nice snag. Hopefully once you replace the preamp tube(s), it'll work without a hitch.

Congrats

6. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I'll take it, if you decide not to.

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Dang man, what neighborhood do you live in? I never see good stuff at yard/garage sales around here.:(

Good for you, crank it up.:hyper:

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have to wonder how the lady had *any* idea what to price it at. If you were dishonest like I would have been tempted to be, you would have told her it needed a new O/T, which is $300 installed, and it's only worth about $25.00, but you'll take it for free because the garbage people won't take it (hazardous material) and you don't want her trying to lift that old boat anchor back into the house after it doesn't sell.

Now, on a sane note...you lucked out, dude! It happens, and when *you* fix it, it feels SOOO good.

Skel

9. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Hey! So, I guess now I know why you didn't buy mine!:spit:

:D

Seriously, great find and congrats! Talk about being in the right place at the right time with a wad of cash.

After reading this thread and the "Best steal/buy" thread, I have an insane urge to go garage-saleing.

10. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    wow!!! good job dude! I can't wait to go garage saleing this summer! maybe I can find a vintage 810 cab that her son gave up on in high school(1970)

11. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Damn, nice find! How much was the head before you put in the new tubes? I do agree that it has one of the loudest fans I have ever head lol..

12. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005

Funny story.... I actually came accross a vintage ampeg 8x10 at a garage sale a few years back... The tolex was ripped here and there, but the grill was in perfect condition and it looked like it worked just fine.... I played guitar and i was about 14 at the time and didnt know much about ampeg yet.... They were askin 200.... kill me

13. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    I just keep meaning to go to garage sales just for this reason... man there are some bargains out there....

Only thing I've ever seen cheap was a late 70's Fender USA P Bass just before I started looking around seriously for my first bass. $300 from the Cash converters around the corner from my work, couldve kicked myself a coupla weeks later when I found out they sell for $1000 minimum in Australia....

14. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    I wouldn't have the willpower to leave her property without that amp in the back of my truck at that price! Seems too much like looking a gift horse in the mouth.
    If there were no visible signs of damage, how much could it possibly cost, in the worst case, to rebuild a Ampeg of recent vintage?

15. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Most likely (much) less than the used cost of a working one minus $300.