I suck and am confused about wattage measure.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Jan 15, 2004.

1. 75watts at 8ohms
    200watts at 2ohms

So does that make a huge difference?

People? Tell me the main difference between a Peavey TKO 115 and a Peavey TNT 115. The way I perceive it is the TNT has more power, but also from what I have read, the TNT ends up getting a hum after awhile (defect).
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I think the 200w into 2 is about equal to 100w into 8ohms. although for a bass combo 100w or 75w may be on the low side for some peoples taste, unless you have several speakers run off the 75w. I had 80w into 8ohms with two 10" speakers (so it was running about 100w into 4ohms) and it was barely loud enough for a loud drummer and guitarists.
  3. I really don't know. It's a fair sized amp.....Seemed loud at the store (TKO), the guy said it was "200 watts" I dunno. Confusing.
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thats it!!! SMASH my boy! I've been trying to find a picture of my very old (picked up for 100 bucks) black widow cab. it's that! but no head, just the cab. What years where these made? (Sorry, a little OT....)
  5. According to the specs I have seen:

The TKO115 is 75Watt in the internal 1x15" 8ohm.
    I don't think you can connect a 2nd speaker so this is what you get.

The TNT115 is 150 Watt into the internal 1x15" 4ohm. But the AMP can drive 2Ohm and it is possible to connect an extra 4ohm speaker cabinet. In that case it will produce 200Watt.

I owned a TNT130 and that thing had an incredible power. I played for at least 10years on it, has been repeared twice (Broken Jacks, Bad soldered capacitors) But still it was a good amp for smaller gigs.

Anyway. Double the power will give you 3dB extra. And I guess that is the difference between both models.
  6. Nah I'm talking about a new TKO and an older TNT. I'de say that the TNT is bigger and more powerful and probaly cheaper, but the TKO would be new and as I said, almost every review on a TNT says they had to get a loud "hum" fixed over and over.
  7. Okay. But what about the whole buzz problem?
  8. 4 out of 15 reviews I read distinctly mention a bad humming noise or static.

I quote

"I've never had the amp completely break down, but around the 5-year mark it developed a nasty electric buzz, even when everything was turned down on it. It took 3 tries before I found someone who could actually fix it"

But I say screw it, if I can bail out on my 200 doll hairs I put down on the TKO at my local shop (Sue and Jeff the owners most likly will) then I'll buy that TNT.
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Smash you've just posted a pic of my first amp. The memories of highschool jams and teenage parties have just come flooding back.........
  10. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hey todd, that the amp im using at the moment! I picked my amp up s/h for $1200 AUD, and it hasnt let me down. the only problem with it, is that it only has one handle on the top, and weighing as much as it does, im constantly scared that the screws are going to give way when im lifting it into the car. im hoping to instal my own side handles soon.

anyway sound wise, its beautiful. the 15 inch speaker has alot of low end to it, but you have to really watch it with the 'shelving' feature, it can screw up your whole tone by putting to much low-end in, creating mud. it handles the low B on my Yamaha TRB fine, accept up too loud, the speaker tends to fart alot (muddy distortion :D ).

i play with both the punch and bright buttons pushed in, and a smiley face on the graphic EQ. the in-built chorus is ok, not that crash hot, when both knobs are on 10, it sounds more like a watery delay, but its still fun none-the-less. if loudeness is what your worrying about, the TNT can go extremley loud, i have the pre-gain on 2, and the master on 3 and its extremley loud. you could easily play a club with this thing.

anyway hope that helps!