1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i suck. at timing....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Mar 6, 2013.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    This is a straightforward bassline IMO, and i know how to play it, AND i CAN play it with a metronome.

The problem is that the accent for the drums (the snare i think) is on the offbeats, and the accent for the guitar is on the offbeats. For bass, its a simple DDDUDU (Down strokes/upstrokes... ull see what i mean). im really frustrated cuz i can't play it when theres so much emphasis on the offbeats for everything except bass. Not really sure what im asking but help or suggestions for my problem would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: My problem is epecially at around 1:05 in the song, when the guitar stops playing the sick lick and its mainly drums/bass/vox

2. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    I think you're over thinking it and making it more complicated than it is. The are no "off beats" in the song. It's really very straight forward.

3. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I understand what you are saying: the guitar does seem to be playing on offbeats while the bass is sticking with straight beats. Just concentrate on being with the kick, not the snare (good advice for most rock anyway). Just keeping thinking and feeling 1-2-3-4 instead of rest CHUCKA rest CHUCKA, etc.

4. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I agree.

Basic 8th notes would work on this song.

5. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Thanks guys... i've come close to playing most of it before. I agree, pretty straightforward. I guess I just dont have a natural sense of rythm but patience and perseverance are the way to go. Thanks for the pointers!

6. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    Nail the "1". The other stuff is easy.

7. mbeall

mbeall

Jun 25, 2003
    I assume when you are practicing with the metronome you are setting it to play quarter notes (i.e. 1 2 3 4 ) and hearing them on the down beats. Based on your post it sounds like you are not familiar with music that has heavy accents on the up beats or the &'s ( i.e. 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & )
    Here's how to get comfortable hearing and practicing with these subdivisions.

Learn the part to where you are comfortable playing with the metronome at a slow tempo. For this tune try a tempo of quarternote=70 which is almost half speed.
    Then once you are comfortable with this practice listening to the metronome at this tempo but hear the beats on the upbeats or the &'s. an easy way to do this is to start counting eighths with it and count the &'s with the beat of the metronome. i.e. 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &. Once you can do this at will start playing the part while hearing the metronome this way. Increase the speed 5 bps at a time until you reach the desired result. You're issue here is not a playing problem, it's a hearing one. As the song says, you can't find the beat until you lose yourself in it. Once you can hear any accent on any subdivision you will have control of your rhythm. Here's more of the same from a guy with amazing rhythm.

8. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    thanks for that! i programmed my metronome so that its kick on the on beats and snare on the offbeats and practiced as wooten said. I just played along with the song and i got through just fine until after the brige. I feel better already. I guess its just a matter of practicing. I really appreciate your help guys!

9. Yes things change at 1:07. Beyond that it is a basic 1-2-3-4 beat. And it does pick back up after what ever that is at 1:07.

I'm having trouble with here the drummer is laying down the beat and If I follow him I'm hitting a note where there should not be one. I have to wait on the vocalist.........the vocalist is not singing with the beat which messes up my chord change and root on one.

Have not decided how to handle this song. Have till Sunday morning, but, I'm leaning toward root on 1 and follow the kick drum -- that seems to be good advice for your song as well as mine. In my case I hope our vocalists will keep the beat better than the artist on the video.

Had a conversation with our drummer and ask him this question; Which comes first, the beat you think is right or the beat the vocalist starts singing? He said: "I listen to the vocalist for the bpm and then adjust from there. The vocalist sets the beat then I make sure we stick with that beat, i.e. do not speed up or slow down".

So --- sticking with the kick drum seems like a safe thing to do with both of these songs.

{Edit} What I ended up doing --- ditched the kick drum and did root on one then nothing till the next chord then root on one - seemed to work out best.
    Hungry I come to you for I know you satisfy
    I am empty, but, I know your love does not run dry
    So I wait - for you, --- so I wait - for you.
    Nashville numbers for the chords.

In case anyone is interested.