Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I suck, I hurt, and I love it!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Pacman, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've been playing almost 6 hours a day lately - 3 at work, and 3 doing a show at night. I'm taking lessons from a guy who played with Bill Evans, he's kicking my a$$ on a regular basis. Even typing hurts while the callouses build up.

But I don't care! That sound! I'm digging the hell out of this. :cool:

2. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Man I wish I had the attention span to play that much. I probably only get in an hour a day with the exception of band practice and shows.

Hey Jon,
    do you still have the Pedulla Rapture 5 I traded you ?
    That was a really nice bass.
    Tony

3. Which guy? Chuck Israels?

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Isnt it great that theirs always someone better? I mean, it makes me get off my ass and try to get better.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

You know, I've always thought that Jeff was psychic, but now that I see that he posted this before Pac even started this thread, I'm sure of it.

Jon,

Seriously, that's great. That feeling of getting deeply into the groove of the thing is worth more than money could ever buy. Keep it up. And remember, I'm still waiting for that CD...

6. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    No, George Prado. Great guy.

Chris - soon, I've got something pretty special on the horizon. Just tell me, how long before my chops stop hurting?

7. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    cool!

I recently started on acoustic and I find it really inspiring and I practice more on it than electric nowadays...

/lovebown

8. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Playing at that rate, I'm supprised that you don't have blisters on all your fingers. I play a gig at Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington. We play for 5 hrs. One on one off. From week to week it's hard for me to practice 'cause I have to let my blisters dry a bit. I use New Skin to cover them during the gig. After this last year in September, it took about 3 weeks for the blisters to turn to callouses. I can hardly wait for next year. Now i can put out the guitar players cig with my finger tips.

9. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    No blisters, and my callouses are getting larger. But along the edges it freakin' hurts like the devil. I'm also looking forward to a day off of playing (thursday!), I'm finding that although I'm still getting through everything, I'm not digging in like I'd like to.

What a path - very exhilerating, very demanding.

And that sound!

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hang in there, Jon...soon you'll have the Hands Of Doom, and you'll be able to play all day and night without breaking a sweat.

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I feel your pain, new brother. :)

I wish I had the 6 hours a day to play though!

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Well clue me in, my darkside brother! Whatcha got?
    As far as the chops thing, I'll assume you're talking about fingertips and answer:

L.H. - about a year before the pain was manageable to the point where I could forget about it for hours at a time. Now, my L.H. fingers almost never hurt.

R.H. - I'll let you know....:D Seriously, about two years to get to the point where I could play as much as I wanted and not freak out about it. (However, take a few days off and then hit a stretch with gigs 4-6 days in a row with some of those being drummerless doubles, and all bets are off :) ) But I'm also very anal about my R.H. fingertips - I use lotion at least twice a day to keep the skin from cracking, and I "sand" my callouses with a pedicure block to keep them safe and keep the sound consistent. I have a little kit that I keep in my bass bag for finger stuff, and I get ragged about it on a regular basis. But hey, it works...

13. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska

****, I was afraid of that - my LH is pretty damn fine, but my RH fingers are pretty sore.

Clue you in? Ok, we just got this chick singer in who's pretty darn good - knows jazz like a jazzer should, done the homework, studied the history, etc. Not someone who knows "Summertime" and "Route 66" so they think it's ok to call themselves a jazz singer :D dig?

So we're going to be putting something together....

jp

14. bassy18

bassy18

Oct 30, 2001
    Here
    I've been playing bass for almost 7 years now. This semester (college) was my first year taking lessons. I got handed a book and about twenty minutes of instruction a day for a week when i first started playing. I take lessons from this little lady from tawain. Yeah....after a two hour lesson i thought i was gonna have to cut off my hands. then i had an hour and a half concert practice. Thought iw as dying. She is all into bending you fingers and lifting your elbow and proper finger location...the "right" way to do it. i've have about 17 lessons. Greatest pain I've ever felt. Haven't pracited at all over break and i am gonna die.....can't wait...

Keep thumpin

Bassy

15. I agree with the first part of the subject. :eek:

16. blackbass

blackbass Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Aurora, CO
    Try changing your strings to a flatwound for awhile. You might lose a little tone, and let your fingers recover.

17. OneCoolDog

OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    Sounds just like me, without the shows. And my Dad kicks mine. The callouses stink. I kind of just have numbness in the tips of my fingers now lol.

18. OneCoolDog

OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    Sounds just like me, without the shows. And my Dad kicks mine. The callouses stink. I kind of just have numbness in the tips of my fingers now lol.

19. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    :rolleyes:

20. Oh, can I sympathize with you! I know what you mean about the pain. I've been at it for 5 hrs./day for just 2 days and already my fingers are raw and in such pain - yet I can't put it down. I'd imagine that, by now, you're fingers have "adapted"?

X