I SUCK!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lazy, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I "played" with this guitarist/singer last week and I was horrible. All I could play was the root note of the chord changes and my timing sucked! I know I need to spend some more time with a metronome. But the most creative lines I could play were the usual root notes with a couple of octaves and fifths thrown in here and there! I couldn't even figure out how to play "Say it ain't So" by Weezer!

He wants me to play guitar and write songs for him because I've been doing that longer and am better at it.

But I've always wanted to play bass and I've invested all this time and money in it. I don't wanna just give it up, but I still want to play with this guy.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Suggestion - Replace yourself.

Find another adequate guitarist and get them to join.

Otherwise, you'll get "doomed" to guitar, like McCartney did to bass when the band forced him into it.
  3. FuturePrimitive

FuturePrimitive Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Wow, this is weird. I could have written this post as the same thing happened to me last week. I DO suck too. All I could do was play the roots of the chords. Kind of opened my eyes that I've been concentrating too much on playing other peoples music (Rush) and NOTHING original. Ooops. I probably lost the gig already before we got a drummer, singer, a name, or even any songs. I bet you don't suck that bad!! :D :D :D
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  5. I just like to add that writing original lines that "suck less" than usual takes time. Keep at it and you will improve.
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    transcribe as much stuff as you can from as many different sources!!!!!!

just lock yourself in your room and learn as much stuff as you can. it is my experience that the people who have learned the most stuff by ear make the best bass lines.

7. That's because you're lazy... ;) :p
  8. Now thats not very nice Stingray. Truthfully the way I found out I didn't suck was the day I suddenly realized, "Hey I dont have to be a puss. I can be outgoing and do something crazy and weird. And if I mess up OH WELL who cares? not me." Strangely enough noone wants to play with me anymore....... I wonder why???

Actually no, I am by no means good, and all you have to do is learn your theory, get a good ear, and then get some instructions. It always helps to have a coach alongside you. I have been playing for almost 4 years now and I didn't get any good until about a year into it I got a teacher and learned all the theory. You really have to learn not to be a wuss, and play stuff that might not work, and if it does, HOORAH you found a new line, and if it doesn't WHO CARES??? It always helps just to jam. Just start a simple riff, and have the rest of the guys come in and just jam with it for about an hour. No Joke. I have done it several times and long jam sessions are the greatest, and you really learn how to develop your technique. Well now Paul is done with his rant, hope you learned something rather than just being confused even more.

What am I talking about of course your confused now.....
  9. Firstly, learn your positions, and arpegio fingerings in lots of positions. That might help your creativity and all.
    Plehm, I don't think Stingray was being offensive, just joking about the dude's name.
  10. Am I really that <b>BAD</b> at sarcasm????
  11. Listen to Smash, he's right. Roots, while not complex to play, are still essential to some songs. Just groove with em. If you do get two guitarists in, you'll have to make lines less complex anyway, try to stop clutter occurring.
  12. just throw the notes down, sure you'll play some really crap stuff.

you'll also think you 'rubbish', but at least your out there playing with other muso, adn not stuck in your bedroom worrying about sucking.

unless someone tells u, u suck or u work that one out for yourself, you'll never know what it is to be great :)

13. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Same thing as SMASH says... roots, fifths and octaves are your bread and butter. There doesn't have to be anything boring about holding the groove... I get more calls to play that than to solo, by far...

14. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Guitarists have it easy though, these guys can miss a beat and just let the chord ring until the next one! Sure, I'm not playing complex jazz stuff, but nevertheless I have to keep going and going even if I'm just playing the root! I wish more people would understand this, especially cocky guitarists!

Thanx for the support, I don't feel that bad now!