Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I sure like wasting space

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheFrizzleFry, Apr 15, 2001.

1. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    It's hard to find people who have the same musical ideas as you. I've had an idea I've wanted to get off the ground for a while, but no one around my town seems to want to do it... well one other person might but you know...

Hardfugrass, it's an idea of mine, it's a combination of Hardcore Funk and Bluegrass. We would have our singer who was really screamy (ala Pantera) and the Bass would be funky, and there would be a banjo player (has distorted banjo ever been done?) and a spoonist (spoon player) a really good one too.

The band would be called "Coleslaw Attack"

If anyone would like to post there ideas for a awesome band, go right ahead. I suppose that could be the reasoning behind this post. Whatever...

2. ...my goodness... well.. uh.. that's original.. but who will listen to it? lol

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    go for it dude!

4. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    Illinois
    Distorted banjo? I wonder what kinda sound it'd make when you slap the body...

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    For banjo with effects, see Flecktones albums.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    There's a SF band where the lead singer plays an amplified accordian run through about 7 effects.

Anyway, some of the greatest ideas where never understood in their time. Music is music. Just do it.

7. Hmmm...now that I read this thread (again), I'm reminded by a short burst of fascination I experienced during one of the rehearsals for The Whereabouts of Wally Dudes, and that is..."what would a distorted piano/keyboard sound like, and is there a device which does this?"
    And by distorted, I mean like...guitar/bass distortoin/overdrive type effects, not like...a fuse that's about to bust, or something. :p

8. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    Why don't you record it yourself ? then others might get an idea and like or dislike it but you'll problably can persuade someone ! if you do it yourself then it's done by 'the artist' himself and it will be better been done because you have the idea !!!

go for it !!

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Throw a little polka into there and I'd be your biggest fan.

10. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Wow, people like my ideas? That's new! Well like I said, I'd start it up in a second, but no one in this lame town has my "artistic vision" but I tell you this, one of these days, Coleslaw attack will become a reality!

11. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    give me some mp3's then !! :)

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My Lord... have you ever really read your old posts? I use to be TheFrizzleFry... :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Rock on, man! Nothing like crazy original stuff. My friend has a band where they play random chords on acoustic and electric, someone banging on pots and pans and someone yelling gibberish lyrics. "Green steeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!"

14. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I just read this and had to laugh, remembering the long-defunct 'Killbilly.' They were a punk-bluegrass fusion band out of Dallas. They actually toured China once. Afterward they got great glee out of describing themselves as the 'first bluegrass band to tour China, ever.' I was friends with their banjo player, who has since passed away. They were awesome.

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    How many names have you had, then?

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If I'm not mistaken it's been...

TheFrizzleFry
    basegeetar
    StupidMatt
    Matt Till
    StupidMatt
    Matt Till

:D :D :D

I didn't know that Paul could change your name. Does Killbilly have any recordings available?

17. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I saw a band once that consisted of a banjo, an upright bass, and a drummer with a bass drum, snare and a high-hat. They did Metallica, and Slayer covers. They opened for the Butthole Surfers in Atlanta, GA about 14 years ago. Can't remember there band name but they were really cool and funny.

18. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    ditto for being on the list for mp3's.
    i would listen to y'all in a heartbeat!
    my musical strangeness idea is...country/reggae fusion.
    most country songs would lend themselves to a rocksteady beat, so....
    someday this will become a reality.
    be afraid.

19. I knew something to add . zoomm zoomm (plus) zoomm zoomm , the world ...

20. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I'd listen to it in a second. I've been doing alot of "bluegrass fusion" for years. I'm glad someone else has the same seemingly warped vision as me. I played in a band called Hypnotic Clambake for about 8 years. We did a blend of traditional bluegrass, polka, klezmer, jazz and funk. Complete with banjo, accordion and horns. It was a blast. Keep me updated!