1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I surrendered to the power of P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky Maple, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Funky Maple

Funky Maple

Nov 9, 2018
    Romania
    I used to play a 4-string Jazz in an alt-rock band with a 7-string gain and distortion-happy guitarist + a Strat player and my favorite setting was Neck 75% Bridge 100% Tone 100%. With this setup I could hear the bite of my bass but there were no lows - it even seemed that the guitarist's 7-string had more low-end than the bass. If I favored the neck pickup, I lost the bite and the low-end was still missing.
    I also played a Precision with the same band and it was the opposite: I could feel the shaking lows of my bass but the attack was lost in the mix.

I'm looking to buy a new Fender bass and even though I love Jazz basses aesthetically and sonically, I'd rather sacrifice bite for thump than the other way around. So I will probably go the store and walk away with that nice buttercream Player Series P, or maybe the Vintera 50's blonde... not sure what the difference between them is really. Maybe one of you could help please?

EatS1stBassist, klejst, REMBO and 2 others like this.
  2. Have you thought about a PJ?

3. Funky Maple

Funky Maple

Nov 9, 2018
    Romania
    Yes but I'm a snob and I want a Fender. And the only PJ Fender in my budget is the Deluxe which is active and I want a passive instrument.

johnnynitro and TN WOODMAN like this.
  4. tom dicus

tom dicus

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    Not trying to be a smart alec, but, if you can't get low lows with the bass John Paul Jones played for 45 years, there's something else going on. It's not the Jazz.

5. WillyWonka

WillyWonka

Dec 10, 2019
  6. Funky Maple

Funky Maple

Nov 9, 2018
    Romania
    Led Zeppelin only had 1 guitar. When I played with only the Strat I could feel the lows nicely. But whenever the other guy joined my bass was gone. We all told him to set his tones with the band, not home alone, but he still adds a lot of gain and his bass knob is at 9 o'clock. So I have to adapt and a Precision seems to fit better in that context

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If you can't get any grind and bite out of a P bass, something is wrong. Get some new rounds and dime the tone. You'll slice through any mix like a chainsaw. And that booty shaking thump will still he there.

One of my P basses has an early DiMarzio pickup in it. It's TOO aggressive. I have to take that bass to keep it from sticking out TOO much.

But even my stock, and Geezer equipped, P basses can plow through any band. A P bass doesn't HAVE to sound like Jamerson. (Not that there's anything wrong with that tone either.)

8. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I would look at installing a parallel/series switch in the Jazz and see if that doesn't give you the bottom end that will work with the 7 stringer. It's inexpensive and reversible. Also, not all pickups are created equal when it comes to sitting in a band soundscape. Same with strings. Plenty of alternate choices in both of those areas.

9. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    You have the jazz pickups in a nasally, mid-accentuated setting. It's an open invitation to the 7 string player, who probably thinks it's awesome to take over that range.

I may be captain obvious here, but since you're doing all that adapting and what-not, have you just tried running the jazz wide open at 100/100?

I'd work with what I have first, but hey, if you're going to pick up a P, that buttercream player series is a looker. :)

10. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    If you want some people to tell you to buy a P bass, boy have you come to the right forum:bassist:

11. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Maybe you need a Stingray?

12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Ps are wonderful, but they are mid heavy, horror earth shaking lows. Just sayin'.

BazzaBass likes this.
  13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Other basses were invented, by Leo, because the P & J don’t do it all for everything for everyone.

Loring likes this.
  14. allanmac00

allanmac00 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2006
    I play in a band with three other guitar players. They play tastefully but it does get raucous during our sets. I've found that a P with Chromes just sits perfectly in this configuration, the thump is there and the chromes give it some surprising mid presence. I would give it a shot.

15. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, chaat enthusiast Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I played a P with rotosounds for years in a two guitar band before I realized the tone I was chasing (but never quite catching) was the default from a stingray.

You could also reverse your thinking in jazz pup blending... Use the neck primarily for the thump and dial up the bridge a little for some bite. Like neck 100, bridge 25-50.

Loring, Ryno1330, nerkoids and 8 others like this.
  16. tom dicus

tom dicus

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    If the P is what you want, more power to you. I have a 40 year old blonde P Special. Round wounds. Perfect bass. I'm just mystified that the Jazz, my favorite bass, doesn't work for you. Mine works great with AC/DC or Lynerd. Maybe your amp needs revisited? I play through a Marshall 435 watt all tube monster or an SVT 300 watt tube monster. I use a Fender Rumble 200 or 40 for practice. Just hoping to help if I can. Cheers friends!

17. DJ Bebop likes this.
  18. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Not by the responses so far!

I see you are in Romania so I have no clue what is available. If you are thinking a new Fender you can pretty much count on consistency in the models you mention. There are some subtle differences in neck radius and P/U's but I'll bet either will be great. Find a string that works for you and you are set. IMO that's the beauty of P's. Get it set up right, find a good string and you never worry about your tone. No Muss, no fuss.

19. ChrisBowsman

ChrisBowsman Gold Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Surprised nobody has said to tell the guitarist to roll back his bass a little.

palmann, sleipnirus, Loring and 16 others like this.