I take back what I said about ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ... fifteens.

How can this be, you ask? Well, I took the D-210XLT off the top of my D-115XL to go to rehearsal, leaving me with just the 15 and the WT-800 in my music room. So I wanted to practice a little the other night, and thought, "Well, I'm too danged lazy to go load in my 210 just to practice, so I'll just try the dorky 15 by itself."

Sooooo, with the judicious application of some Eden EQ, and running on the bridge pickup of my Jazz FMT, I was able to elicit some fairly crisp, jazzy tones from the ol' 15. Who'da thunk it? So OK, maybe they don't HAVE to be tone-sucking muff monsters, but be careful out there.

WARNING! Don't try this at home!

PS. I could regain my senses at any time, so don't take this to the bank, OK?
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Wow,,,,, a landmark. I have a 15. not THAT muddy.... but still MUDDER than the smaller speakers (10's 8's 12's).
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Munji, it takes a big man...
  4. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Cool. Never thought I'd see this thread. I've been playing on a 4X10 cab for a while now and recently a friend of mine educated me on the virtues of 15's. So much more low end!!! Must have 15's!!!
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think its cool you posted this.

Ive always been a major defender of 15's but its not like i dont have any problems with them.

In case its worth anything, my biggest problem with 15's is the size to volume/power ratio.

Plenty of 2-10s are smaller or about the same sixe, and are much louder.

6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    So i guess Hell is freezing over....
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've never cared much for fifteens soloed (hollow, no punch) but always thought that "tone sucking muff monsters" was a little harsh. :p
  8. Hahahaha...Ideazman, you took the words right out of my mouth......
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i know what you're talking about, i mean, just the other day i had my trace ah600smx hooked up only to one 4x12" and 1x18" sub, and you know, it just rocked the house.

10. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Go back to sleep! When you wake up tomorrow you'll see that it was just a bad dream!
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001

:D AHAHAHAA.eh.eheh.eh...:( I hate you

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  13. natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I've used 4X10 and 2X10 before, but I have preferred the sound of a 15 to 10s for a long time.

Then again, I like 8s too.
  14. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Wanna scare yourself even more?

Go down to your local GC or Daddy's and plug your amp into a single 1-15BX P...y. It don't matter what speaker is in it.

You will have to wear a mask.And don't even reply on TB. No one will know.

You will $#!+ yourself.
  15. Pigs are flyin', too.
  16. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    There may be hope for you yet Munji-
    Anytime you want you can play thru my MESA
    rig, all-tube power w/Diesel 2x10 & a 1x15!!! which yes, I can even use on its own!!! And it sounds good!
    Whooda thought a 1x15 could EVER sound good?
    Why...could it be ....James Jamerson on a B-15???

Now admit that Eden is not the freakin' center of the Universe (Very good stuff it is!)
    and you may leave the clinic!:D

BTW---you're funny!
  17. Munji, I never thought I'd say this, but...

after seeing you post "I think you should use 3 8x10 cabs, stacked. I'm rooting for the gene pool." and now this, I... I...

Ah, you're still judgmental. And funny as hell, man. :D

Can we all get your latest list (given the latest Eden situation) of "gear that blows" / "gear that does not blow"? Thanks! ;)
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh, I'm softening in my old age. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer tens by a long shot. And although I haven't said it in maybe a year, Ibanez still blows. But a lot of young'uns like them Ibani, so why hurt their feelings? I also like the Fender Bassman 400 210 combo, but not whichever one comes with one 15. I think my opinions about fifteens are rooted in 115 combos. I used to have a Peavey Combo 115, and it sucked so bad it blew. I don't even like the SWR Workingman's 15. I bought one, and took it back the next day and swapped it for a WM 12.

Yes I'm judgemental. Who's not? But I'm not as judgemental as you think. Most of that crap is just to incite a little dialog. If everyone had the same taste as I do, Eden would still be open, and only about two or three other companies would exist. Each company fills a niche defined by numerous factors, not the least of which is economics. Then you have your rockers, your jazzers, your rappers, and y'all's country and westerners.

In the words of a fellow California motorist, "Why can't we all just get along?"
  19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL

&@*&$ ^@$# *&%!^#% (!*#@%*^!!!!!

It really hurts when monkeys fly from my arse.