Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I thank you all...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by thrash_jazz, Aug 27, 2003.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    ... for all your support, encouragement and advice when I took up DB seriously, a bit over a year ago.

Unfortunately I have recently come to the conclusion that DB is not practical for me, at least not at this stage. Hand injuries, lack of transport and space are a few of my reasons... as a result I'm going to stick with the plank for awhile.

Double bass is a wonderful instrument and I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of learning it properly. I hope that one day it will be practical for me to start again.

Once again, thanks to all DB forumites for everything!

Cheers, Adam

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Hey Adam,

Sorry to hear things aren't working out. What kind of hand injuries are you talking about? Nothing serious I hope.

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Anything I can do to help?

Mike

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Nothing really serious - just a bout of tendinitis, which I got from working out too strenuously. Luckily, playing bass doesn't seem to have been the primary cause.

Rest is what the PT ordered...

It isn't really that DB wasn't working out for me, it's just that the PITA factor for a carless wonder such as me is too high at this point to stick with it.

MIKE MULCHGRAVY - any advice would be highly appreciated.

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Tendonitis, easy to get, long to get rid of. Simply put, rest it, ice it, Motrin 600-800 mg two times a day. If you get OTC (over the counter) Motrin, take 400 three times a day. Not a bad idea to split it if you can.

Mike

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Thank you for the advice!

Does tendonitis ever completely go away?

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Absolutely, take away what causes it and "poof" gone. Take it easy for a few weeks and it should be fine.

Mike

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Scary to think that with that "poof", along with the pain, goes my career, and source of income. Here's to hoping and praying for continued physical health. I'm not too keen on flippin' burgers for a living.

Being a freelance bassist is great, but the retirement plan sucks.

9. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Same with being a luthier!

10. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Good mechanics and conditioning can play a major role on the prevention side. The rest is just luck.

If I can help in any way guys just ask.

Mike