$#i+!!!! the GK is making some terrible noise now.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rusmannx, Jan 3, 2005.

1. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    so uh..... this thing is making a terrible sounding vibrating distortion. now i know that depending on how the boost is set with the master volume, it can create the overdrive channel, but my amp is making this terrible rattling noise even if the boost is at zero.
    last time this cab made this sound was when i first bought it (it was a voice coil out of alignments due to shipping) but now it is making the noise again, with neither the amp or the cab having been moved an inch. not only that, but it seems like the whole cab is making this noise, not just one speaker.

any ideas? any way to isolate the source? i hate to call dave at avatar again and tell him something is up (even though he is the best customer service i have had ever had).
  2. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I think I might have a slight Idea where your coming from. When I first hooked up my GK to my Avatar it gave off this extremly ugly loud farty rombling over drive. I was like "WFT!?!?!?" I thought The bi-amp section was ONLY for a GK cab/Horn managment thing, but I soon noticed the woofer knob and boost knob have an effect in it too so I raised it up and it was much louder and hadrly any of that odd overdrive, when I play hard in the 14bd off I can still get that odd sounding crap, so I just keep the 14db switch on (even though my bass is passive). Other than that and the voicing vilters don't do anything unless I turn them all the way up this thing is great. I dunno, mabye it might give you some info, make you not feel alone, anything.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, tell us how you have this amp connected. Have you tried it with any other cabinets to see if it was the amp causing it?
  4. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    The voicing filters and tone controls definately aren't as sensitive as some other amps (my BX3000T comes to mind...much more range in the tone controls as well as the deep and bright switches), and this may cause some concern at bedroom volume levels, but if you crank the 1000RB up to gigging volume, you'll notice the changes more and see you have finer control over your tone... and probably find that this to be an advantage when playing with a loud band.

- Ugly.
  5. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    the amp and the cab are connected with a speakon (2pole) cable.
  6. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    :confused: That's the way the amp should be connected to a "non GK" cabinet (unless the Avatar has been modified so that +2/-2 on the speakon jack is connected directly to the tweeter).

- Ugly
  7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    The woofer knob is your master volume when using a non GK cab. Your volume knob on the far left should be used as an input level knob.