1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I think I’m in a prog band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Spent, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    So about two years ago I had to leave my very busy cover band. New job and couldn’t handle the weekly gigs any more. Loved working with the guys, but playing top 40 dance tunes gets old fast. Of course the money was good. Now that the job is going well, I’ve been itching to play again, but this time it’s for me. I had trouble finding the right band and almost fell into the cover thing again. On impulse I answered a local ad from a drummer looking to do more creative stuff. He lists Porcupine Tree and Pink Floyd as types of music he likes. I’m intrigued. Turns out I know him and actually auditioned for a band he was in years ago. It wasn’t my style, but we jammed a little anyway. Years later a band I was in opened for his band's cd release party. The guy is an amazing drummer and we clicked immediately. I invite a former guitarist over who I’ve played with on and off for over 20 years. We had written and recorded a couple of times in the past. Had our first full practice tonight (jammed a little while setting up in the drummer's studio last week) and it was amazing. Looks like we’re bringing in a very talented keyboardist (played with the drummer for years) and a great singer from a previous band is very interested in coming on board. I’m totally stoked at how this is coming together and I’m really digging the progressive thing, never played it before. Actually dug out my Fender Deluxe Fretless Jazz tonight. Bringing my Carvin LB76 next time. I’m going to get to play all of the fun basses I bought over the years but never had an opportunity to play. This project is five very talented musicians and me, with a similar mindset, getting together to play whatever we want to. I think is going to be a lot of fun.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Good times when you can do your thing!

Pics, video and memorabilia will keep the memories alive.:)

Spent and hrodbert696 like this.
  3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Sounds like a blast. Enjoy the ride.

Spent likes this.
  4. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have been fortunate enough to have accumulated an anthology of sorts. I have a number of video and audio recordings dating back 20+ years. I've had the honor of playing with some very good musicians. looking forward to more of the same.

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  5. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Yep, that's prog alright. Sounds like a great opportunity. Best of luck, and have fun!

Spent likes this.
  6. Did the verses you've sung not add much weight to the story in your head so you're thinking you should go and write a punch line?

Yes

woodyng2 likes this.
  7. I've gone from playing punk to prog rock in a couple of years. Love it! It keeps me on my toes and is a great excuse to keep practicing.

Let us now how your new band turns ut!

8. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Are you actually going to be covering those bands or writing originals in that style? I'd love to hear somebody doing Porcupine Tree covers...

9. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Sounds like you are, and good job! The world needs more prog bands, IMO. :D

10. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Porcupine Tree is one of my favorite bands of all time! I never get tired of listening to the album "Deadwing". It's freakin' brilliant, start to finish.

But I would never suggest playing their music in a cover band. They are far far too obscure and their songs are not only complex, but often are very very long. Simply not a good formula for most cover bands. I've always tried to keep my eclectic musical taste separate from what I suggest a cover band should do in order be successful in the market we are in.

Spent likes this.
  11. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    We’ve a actually written a couple of things already. I’d like to cover a few just for fun. I’m not really into gigging too much anyway, kinda burned out from my previous cover band. We’re playing this music for us. The guys are so talented and experienced that we could easily add a bunch more standard covers if we want to play out more. For now I’m just happy to be playing challenging music that I actually have to pay attention to.

biguglyman likes this.