Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think I broke it

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ezmerelda129, Sep 28, 2005.

1. ezmerelda129

ezmerelda129

Sep 28, 2005
    Albany
    I just HAD to get that dust on the higher frets, just HAD to. And now I'm paying for it, after removing the towel my A string was loose, so was the machine head. How can I fix this and what should I look for to make sure nothing else was broken?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    A little dusting shouldn't hurt your bass. Some of us put basses through a lot more than that, and it's still not enough to break one.

Can you give a bit more of a description? Is it possible that the string core broke while you had it under pressure or maybe the string came unwound?

I'd start by taking the string off altogether and then put it back on. Check the tuner carefully and see if it looks like something is amiss, or obviously broken.

Oh, and welcome to TB.

3. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    ******MOD EDIT******

I HAVE NO IDEA IF THAT IS PG OR NOT, SO I'M DELETING IT. HUMOR IS A SUBTLE THING...

4. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA

I'm confused at what your talking about... I dust my bass all the time.. how would dusting break your bass? are you talking about sliding a rag underneith the strings and a string snapping? I would say its the strings fault, I think slapping puts more tension on the strings than a towel would.