Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I (think I ) developed a new technique!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Apr 14, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I think i made up a new technique!

Play the bass normally (with fingers) then turn your hand 90 degrees to the right (away from the pickups [so your hands are parallel with the strings and your fingers are moving towards the bridge] ) and play, but use your finger nails. it creates a scratchy sound, but the notes are still auditable! (sp?)

I dunno if this can be classed as a new technique, but i think it sounds cool. even better with a moderate amount of chorus effect on it. ;)

2. It can be called the kirby scratch

;)

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    on my acoustic bass it sounds like a sitar almost...neat!

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

When using a pick, I do the same thing as a fill,
    a 'pick scrape' by holding the pick 90 degrees to the string, and scrathing the string, or strings.

One gets a different sound depending on what string, where it is scraped and the frequency of the
    scrape. I use a roundwound string. Started using this technique about 17 years ago.
    Peace
    O-man

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I hate to break it to you, but I know of one bassist who has already done this.

Brace yourself

Fieldy (I believe he does this during Freak on a Lesh)

:D

6. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    When? What time in the song?

I know Traa from P.O.D does a similar thing during alive, but not the same as mine. :spit:

No...of all the people to make me look like an idiot..it had to be fieldy didnt it :rolleyes::spit:

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Does that not screw up your wrist out of interest?

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think Percy Jones also does it. He also pulls his G string off the fretboard and plays behind the nut, at the headstock, too.

9. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    not really, because you cant really do it standing, sitting only and when you do do it sitting, you tend to bend at the elbow more ;)

10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Add Gary Willis to the list of people who do it. He makes it sound pretty damn cool....

11. I've done something similar to that with my distortion on, it makes a pretty cool sound.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's pretty much a pick scrape without a pick. I've done this before... I've never written anything with it, but, meh.

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    They got somethin' against Phil?

:bag:

14. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I dont get it? :confused: :rolleyes: :D

15. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    sorry to bust your cap, but i'm almost 100% sure les does this dude, _-soto-_

16. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Tried it....... didn't work very well on my flatwounds:meh: :D

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Phil Lesh...

18. i used to do that. i'd pull the G WAY off the fretboard, and downward (towards the bass' body) until the string hit the body, and add or relieve pressure to change the pitch. i do it on the pickups too.