1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I think I did something bad to my amp...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Feb 12, 2006.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have a Carvin RC210 which I usually biamp with a Carvin 115. Yesterday I was going to use it in bridged mode, and when I hit my strings I got a really bad distortion that seemed to make a "blat" sound like I pushed the speakers too hard. When I try it now it seems quieter but still sounds good. When I play it biamped it sounds a lot like it did before, if not exactly the same, but now occasionally the sound fades away and the returns. Any idea what I did?

I don't have the money to take it to a repair shop, but I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron. I've tried wiggling the inputs and the speaker outputs to see if that's the problem. It's not the preamp tube. If I were to try to repair this myself, what would I be looking for when I open the amp up?

2. Straniero

Straniero

Feb 12, 2006
    Sounds to me like you fried a capacitor. You can test them with a tester, but you have to remove each one to do it.