Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think I don't hate Slipknot

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm as weirded out as you are. I was watching a performance of theirs on Conan... the Heritic Song I believe... not bad. I'm surprised a band that "extreme" can get popular. It seemed pretty close to death metal (or is it grindcore... I can't distinguish genres at all). My only complaint is in fact watching them. They had two idiots (one with a red face, one with a huge nose) head banging during the entire song, just to occasionally emit vocals. And a sampler guy who doesn't seem to do anything and a DJ that played the intro to the song, then just stopped. Do these people serve a real purpose. They surprisingly used two guitarists fairly well when it came to dynamics. So aside from the idiotic costumes, and useless band members, they seem alright. Agree, Disagree, haven't heared enough to give them a fair shake, waddaya think?

P.S. I like many of you (probably) have only heard wait and bleed and wanted to vomit.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The clown and the picklnose dude are the percusionists...who admittedly don't do much, but they really add to "Prosthetics" on the first album, and some on the second. The DJ and sampler are pretty useless, however.

I don't hate listening to them either. Joey Jordison (or some such) is a pretty good drummer and guitar player. I hear that whole first album is essentially his baby, with most of the guitar work coming from his ideas and him doing drums and whatnot.

I used to like them a lot 4 years ago, then grew up.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh don't get me wrong, they aren't my new favorite band or anything. But if I see their album at a yardsale for two bucks, I'd pick it up. My reaction before would be to give them two bucks then destroy the CD.

I could also see them as a "gateway metal band" they are closer to real metal than lets say, Drowning Pool.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I bought the album, it's far from the worst thing I've ever heard. I listened to it a bunch of times. I haven't picked it up since though. They are victims of a backlash based mainly on apperence, IMO. There are bands the suck far worse and look far better that don't get half as much grief. I really don't mind them. :meh:

5. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I've only heard the first album, but it's not bad. The dense percussion and surprisingly good arrangement are almost enough to excuse the silly personae. My guess is that one or two of those guys is/are really talented arrangers. It's not that easy to fit so many instruments (admittedly, most play simple parts, though) together so well, particularly noisy - non-orchestral - instruments).

The vocals, lyrics, and image really detract, though, and if you've ever seen any of them interviewed, it probably devalued your appreciation of their music, if you had any.

All that said, I don't listen to them, and haven't for quite a while. But I don't listen to heavy music much anymore.

6. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I hate Slipknot.

If they dropped four or five members, I think they'd have a great thing going, but there's too much dead weight.

Also, the guitarists whine in interviews about being more "real" than any other metal bands because rather than buy seven string guitars, they tuned theirs down to B. :rolleyes:

7. The two percussionists do more on the first album than the second, and I mean a lot more!

The DJ did the most on the songs that totally suck ass that they wrote and thankfully left himself pretty much out of most their good songs!

The drummer and the percussionists do a damned good job together though, they sound really good mainly on the first album, 870621345 (Self Titled), than on their other one, Iowa.

In the live performances the percussionists tend not to really do anything but bang their heads along w/ the DJ who really isn't needed for the live performances because they do their good songs (the ones he isn't really in).

Overall their a damned good band for as many members as they have, only really needing everyone except the DJ and percussionists during live performance. ~ Ty

8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Slipknot is a more of a visual band. They are chaos on stage(and off). Chris(Long nose) and shawn(clown) are for the energetic heavy part of the live show. Sid(DJ) is a complete nut case! I've seen that guy climb up over the crowd on a beem in a club, just to dive in!

The tour for "sic" was a little on the weak side live. But on the "Iowa" tour they were ten times better. A better built set with better props for the drum kit and percussion moshers.

Music wise, "sic" all the way! More raw, more to prove, just in your face metal!

Very cool people to meet! Cory is the cooliest one IMO. He was very easy to talk to and has a great sense or humor. Jim Root is cool as hell too. One tall mother! Their tour manager Danny is like the ringleader. One of the nicest guy you could ever meet. How he keeps them guys going is beyond me?

I could ramble on and on, but I won't! :)

Me and Jim Root
    Me and Cory Taylor w/ Dez

9. i am in the boat where slipknot is too crazy and angry for me for the most part, so i only like a few of their songs,

however, stone sour (side project with corey taylor) is now one of my favourite bands, i heard 'bother' and thought **** thats really different, but the other songs on their album are really damn good, definatly check em out.

10. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Why? It works for me!? :meh:

11. If all 9 members were playing at the same time,it'd sound like crap...

thats why the 3/4 weren't playing...

12. You can, but I couldn't cuz I'm dumb..fixed :D

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Change that number to nine, and then you'd have a really great thing going.

14. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sorry to go off topic, but I just read Tyler's sig and just about fell off of my chair laughing. Thanks. I needed that.:p

15. Compliments of Joe Turski :D

16. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Don't worry.. I have enough hate towards slipknot for the both of us. :)

17. darkjoker667

darkjoker667

Apr 21, 2003
    I think Slipknot is a pretty good band. I do't listen to them nerly as much as I used to because I discovered better bands but I'll listen to them once in a while. They get a lot of crap from elitists for some reason I never could figure out (popularity?).

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Bad clown makeup, possibly?

19. too contrived for my taste.

take off the costumes, drop the dead weight (useless members) and try to write a decent song.

if you're going to look silly, then you better be freaking good. you better blow my mind. but they play the same dumb metal riffs we've been hearing for years. they just put a nice package on it.

if you want to see a band that dresses wierd, has a percussionist and actully RAWKS, then check out sleepytime gorilla museum. those guys learned to play before going down to the store for face paint and masks.

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

(applause)