I think I don't like my Jazz Bass anymore...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Big, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

There's more than one way to skin a cat, as they say. These and scads more can get our sounds just about anywhere we want them to be. The days of modding basses are long gone for some of us. What a waste of effort, when there's an easy way to get instant results. YMMV

837088001045-2.jpg

Bass10EQ-large.jpg

Qstrip_Chassis_FINAL-1-1024x763.png

ruju likes this.
  2. Henning Hojen

Henning Hojen

Dec 28, 2015
    The Elite Jazz Bass has an active EQ, so if all pots are turned full up it might sound “skinny”. In active basses it is not unusual to use low Z pickups to get a wider tone spectrum, especially in the upper tone range. A great advance are the noiseless pickups wound in a way so they - although they act as single coils - are immune to stray fields like humbuckers.
    Furthermore Fender has - as I have mentioned for years - made the neck and fretboard with “compound radius” - really a conical surfaced fretboard with the advantage it implicates with the possibility of extreme low action without string buzz. It is a logical solution and far better than a constant radius as used from the very beginning.
    I don’t own a Fender bass as I swear to headless design and play Status, but I am not blind for the advantages of other brands. Fender has finally come up with some reasonable news !
    To bring changes to a big company is usually like changing the course of a supertanker with a canoe !

3. gertru59

gertru59

Mar 8, 2007
    I use a Sadowsky Bass Preamp on my Fender Jazz and my Fender P and on both I was able to get a much better sound.

4. Daddy-R

Daddy-R

Sep 24, 2013
    Eest Memphis
    I'll work up some nerve and give it a shot - I have a 2019 Squier Paranormal Jazz

5. rzero

rzero

Apr 21, 2014
    AZ
    I've actually been adding just a hint of the bridge pickup lately. Opening that parallel circuit compresses the signal and darkens and fattens the tone just slightly. The sonic difference is subtle but the change in feel is quite noticeable.

It's not too different from the previously mentioned neck full and bridge just backed off full, but this way the bridge signal is basically completely inaudible.

I forgot to mention previously: Remember you get a low-mid hump from rolling the tone all the way off on in passive mode, which can fatten your sound. If this sounds too honky, turning your main pickup volume down just slightly will lower the frequency of the hump. This is actually a powerful eq tool.

Nashrakh, dabbler and Pet Sounds like this.
  6. I'm coming late to this party, but fwiw I encountered the same thing with my first American Standard Jazz Bass. Then I played a bar gig one night and let a friend play a song with it while I watched from the audience. The guy didn't change any of the settings and didn't play particularly well, but there was a night and day difference in the tone from the audience perspective. It sounded so much better when I was at a distance from the amp.

dabbler and rzero like this.
  7. Gary Stevens

Gary Stevens GS Custom Guitars. Gary Stevens. Florida USA Commercial User

Dec 8, 2019
    Green Cove Springs, Florida
    Luthier since 1989
    You discovered that lows are not fully developed where you listen right in front of the speaker. 20 feet away makes a world of difference. In my studio, I use an 18 foot Mogami cord so I can get away from the bass speakers. A W bass horn, ala Jaco, takes even more distance.

Pet Sounds and rzero like this.
  8. I have that same problem with my jazz basses. I put EMG J active pickups in two and am happy. I have one passive one left but I put a series/parallel switch in and tend to play it in series for the bigger tone.

In truth I’m just a P bass guy. Whenever I pick one up I feel like that’s the tone I was looking for, right there

Gordon Mills, Pet Sounds and rzero like this.
  9. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    Try this........
    Set the bass volume to 7 and the treble volume to 10.
    Set the tone to about 3 and then move your plucking position from the treble pickup towards the neck and note the difference in tone. It will be dramatic and also increase in range if you raise the tone very slightly to explore softer tones.

10. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    This is very true. I have a bass that sounds to me horrible in a home play situation (like a thin furry P type sound) but during rehearsal, comes into its own to the point the band like it the best of all my basses.

g-dude likes this.
  11. rzero

rzero

Apr 21, 2014
    AZ
    My 06 has the factory series/parallel switch. But it's wired so the volume of both pickups is controlled by the neck knob when the switch is engaged. I wish I could explore setting the volumes independently in series, as I find it a little scooped and boomy engaged as is. Maybe I'll rewire it one day...

BigBadBen67 likes this.
  12. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Grab any nice P-bass. Problem solved.

Gordon Mills likes this.
  13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Ear fatigue is a thing. Buy a P, put the J away..... and down the road you'll rediscover how smooth and delicious the J sounds.

Rev12_11, Jinobass1 and rzero like this.
  14. This. I still absolutely love my P-Basses, but I've belatedly come to appreciate the Jazz after years of being very lukewarm toward them. I now use and enjoy both (and StingRay Specials).

Bass Man Dan, lowdownthump and rzero like this.
  15. Jinobass1

Jinobass1

Oct 30, 2013
    Try :
    front P.U. Only
    Or
    Passive:w/Tone -0
    Or
    Active : treble 0
    Mid 50(half-way ;where you feel the nudge )
    Low +\- get da mud out
    Or
    Dial your Amp (cut treble ,add or subtract lows and mess w/Mids or turn off the tweeter)

16. Jinobass1

Jinobass1

Oct 30, 2013
    U
    Unless jazz bass has a U neck (baseball bat) thicker the neck (mo’ Mass) mo’ Tone!

17. Jinobass1

Jinobass1

Oct 30, 2013
    which Elite Do U Have?
    Ash Body (Maple Neck)
    Alder Body (Rosewood fingerboard)???

18. Gary Stevens

Dec 8, 2019
    Luthier since 1989
    Keep in mind, mass, stiffness and weight are three different things

Jinobass1 likes this.
  19. Jinobass1

Jinobass1

Oct 30, 2013
    Do you think Neck pocket deepness has anything to do w/tension?

20. Gary Stevens

Dec 8, 2019
    Luthier since 1989
    No. Tension is from the strings.

Jinobass1 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021