I think I don't like my Jazz Bass anymore...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Big, Oct 7, 2021.

1. I have a Fender Deluxe Jass B, with N3 pickups. Those are supposedly "bad", but i like them.

I just run the bass in passive mode, solo the neck pickup and adjust EQ or tone knob and it sounds pretty beefy to me.

It ain't no P' bass, but a J' can sound pretty ballsy if you want it to. I just love how versatile a bass with JJ style pickups sound.

If I dislike the sound out of a instrument, I'd better change to fresher strings and adjust the pickup height. That usually does the trick. (I have reeeeaally dead Rotosound swing 66 string on it.)

johnnynitro and rzero like this.
  2. Bass EQ pedal carry one with you set it and just play use it when you need a different sound

3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    This past year I’ve sold off a Fender Elite Jazz V, 2 Carvin SB5000, and my Fender US Geddy Lee Jazz .

I replaced them with a MusicMan StingRay5 Special and my Sandberg Ida Neilsen 5. My trusty P bass with flats remains. I do have a Sire V3-5 around but it’s not really mine . I can use it for backup or if I need a true Jazz bass to record or just as my don’t bring out your expensive basses player.
    Other than that, I dont see myself purchasing another Jazz bass .
    I get more out of the basses I currently have .

Tanner5382 likes this.
  4. Jinobass1

Jinobass1

Oct 30, 2013
    When I lowered my bridge height and adjusted the truss rod I was able to achieve looser tension ….on my ‘76,‘77,’78
    But my ‘63,’66,’69 neck pocket is not as deep and tension feels little tighter

5. Gary Stevens

Gary Stevens GS Custom Guitars. Gary Stevens. Florida USA Commercial User

Dec 8, 2019
    Green Cove Springs, Florida
    Luthier since 1989
    String tension is a function of string diameter (size,) and the frequency it is tuned to. Lowering the bridge or adjusting the truss rod will not affect string tension, assuming the same string size and frequency.

6. Gary Stevens

Dec 8, 2019
    Luthier since 1989
    Slacking the truss rod will reduce the string tension and will produce a lower note. Tune back up and you have the same tension as before.

7. Gary Stevens

Dec 8, 2019
    Luthier since 1989
    This is physics, not opinion

8. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I don't think you can control the contribution of each pup when they are wired in series, because in a series circuit the same signal goes through each element.

friend33 likes this.
  9. rzero

rzero

Apr 21, 2014
    AZ
    That makes sense. I thought I saw a way to do it here once, but looking at my bookmarks it looks like I misread the post. Good to know I'm not missing any possibilities then.

But I am so digging this neck open, bridge barely open the last few days. Opening that parallel circuit removed all the lingering irritants I had with the neck solo, and adds a total tonal magic.

I've long wondered what Leo had in mind as the "default" setting on a Jazz bass. Now I'm thinking it was one pickup open (neck?), one pickup partially open. But I'm speculating.

I would also encourage anyone with Jazz problems to try the tone rolled down all the way for a while. I thought it sounded strange until a few months ago when I left it down for a couple weeks, and now it's my favorite position. Tames the highs of course, and the resulting mid-hump boosts my amp break-up in a very musical way.

10. rzero

rzero

Apr 21, 2014
    AZ
    Trying not to hammer this thread too much but I'll add one more thing that's been working for me lately on my Jazz: Round-core strings. I'm finding the highs more musical and the lows fatter compared to hex core. Round core seem to really compliment the single-coils.

And of course flats are always an option (I know OP said they didn't work for him) and I really dug them when I had them on previously. The notion that you are never supposed to put flats on a jazz is silly. The jazz bass was originally designed to be used with flatwound strings, of course.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021 at 8:24 PM
    friend33 and DJ Bebop like this.
  11. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    I love all 4 of my mine.
    Fender Masterbuilt 5
    Sadowsky UV70 5
    Sadowsky UV70
    Sire Fretless 5

DJ Bebop and rzero like this.
  12. Gordon Mills

Gordon Mills

Apr 26, 2020
    My American Precision is my go-to groove machine. My American Elite Jazz is my out-front bass. I can use them interchangeably, but that's what purpose each one serves best.

DJ Bebop and rzero like this.
  13. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Trust me, keep it and save for a P ! You may find like I did your taste in bass tone may change and you may move back to the Jazz even if it’s 10 years from now.

rzero likes this.
  14. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    It's okay, tastes change. There are basses I loved for a while, but things changed and I moved on.

rzero likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021