I think I found it. An analog OC-2 style Octaver with more headroom (MB Octaver Raw)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kickysam49, Mar 13, 2023.

1. kickysam49

kickysam49 World Heavyweight Champion Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2022
    MA
    I've been going through Octave pedals like a madman trying to find something that sounds as good as my OC-2 but has more headroom and is a little less unpredictable.

On a whim, I picked up a Markbass MB Octaver Raw Series.

A/Bing it with my OC-2, the tracking is almost identical, with the MB being a little bit better on low notes. The typical glitches are still there as you would expect from an analog octave.

The MB seems to be able to take a very hot signal without clipping. I was running it at 9v, and you can run it at up to 12v, which I haven't tried.

The MB seems to have a touch more available volume wise on both the dry and octave down signal.

In terms of actual "tone", it sounds 95% the same as the OC-2, so far. It's the closest I've gotten.

If you need a 2 octave down sound, that is not an option on this particular pedal. Nor is a battery.

It's also tiny in terms of pedalboard footprint.

We'll see how it gigs.

[​IMG]

2. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I'm really tempted to try one of these too. I currently use the MXR BOD but always messing with different combinations of Growl and Girth, and the mid boost which are all great, but something about the simplicity of the Markbass is appealing. How is the octave voiced compared to the MXR? Probably near to the Growl if it already sounds similar to the OC2.

3. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Don't know if you are still looking, but if you love your old OC2 as I do consider this:
    "OC-2 clipping"
    OC-2 clipping ..

4. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Pulled the trigger on the Markbass Octaver Raw and really happy so far. It's very much in the OC2 ballpark and loving the simple 2 knob layout. Takes no time to dial in the perfect ratio.
    @kickysam49 your review has pretty much said it all :)

ColdEye likes this.
  5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I use this Octaver

Clone of the OC2, sounds identical (and I have done extensive A/B testing) dirt cheap

davelowell2 and ColdEye like this.
  6. It's been a while, do you still like it or moved on? Did you have a chance to run it at 12v?

7. kickysam49

Feb 28, 2022
    MA
    I liked it, it did everything I needed it to.
    The only reason I ended up moving on was because I liked the soft switch of the boss better. But if you aren't frequently going on and off it will do a great job. 12v works fine, but clipping isnt really an issue.

Rodrigo Silva likes this.
  8. Thanks! I'm also considering the MXR VBO. I had clipping issues with another MXR mini pedal, though, so I'm exploring other options.

9. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    The Broughton Subsonic is stellar, but hard to come by.

10. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    IMHO, the COG octavers sound the most identical to the OC-2, and then comes the Markbass. The Markbass sounds thicker than the OC-2. I haven't tried the Sonic Cake or the Broughton yet.

11. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Really like the MB Octaver. Good octave tone, tracking, small footprint and easy to dial in. I've used Boss and MXR octave pedals and for me the MB Octaver holds it's own.

12. kickysam49

Feb 28, 2022
    MA
    The VBO clipped worse than the OC-2 for me

13. Thanks for letting me know! The demos I saw online sound great, but I have really low tolerance for clipping :)

kickysam49 likes this.
  14. Karlo.kc

Karlo.kc

Dec 16, 2008
    Croatia
    DOD Octoplus can also sound like an OC-2 and it doesn’t clip.

cyberfola likes this.