Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think I found it!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, Jan 21, 2001.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Beautiful! Jay Turser, or what?

3. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    That's the one, man. Get that one and you'll never look for another fretless 5 again. There are several great fretless basses out there, some as good as the the Zon, but none better.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  5. embellisher

Yeah, Munji, Jay is making some mighty fine basses these days, huh?

6. embellisher

OK, I thought that at first I would let the pictures speak for themselves, but here is the rundown:

Zon Sonus Custom, Bart soapbars(humbuckers), ZP-2D preamp, active bass & treble, piezo bridge pickup with blend control, 34" scale/24 'fret' composite(duh!) neck, burled redwood top, adjustable string spacing bridge, straplocks, phenowood fingerboard with redwood lines(hey, I need a roadmap, OK?;)), Zon gigbag, list new over $3700(now over $4000, I just checked the website), flawless condition, less than 6 months old, I can get it for around $2K including 2 day shipping.

I don't like some composite basses, but I have never played a Zon that I didn't like.

7. Beautiful!!! I bet it sounds as good as it looks. Does it have coil tap? or are the soaps single coil?

8. embellisher

ROCKBOBMEL, it has humbuckers, but they are not currently tapped.

There's something to think about down the road. ;)

9. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    I'm sure Jay Tursers have feelings too ya know.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    You basically have the "Legacy" electronics package plus the piezo bridge in the Sonus body style. You have so many sounds available as is (especially a killer bridge solo'd sound) that I'm not sure what you'd gain with a coil tap.

11. embellisher

Of course I know that you would have to play it to tell me, Brad, but you think that this one would probably be a keeper, eh?

More sounds? Isn't that better? Like having more frets or an amp that goes to 11?

:)

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Absolutely.

Also, I've found that I like mine with Nickel strings, not SS. I didn't feel the need to EQ with Nickel. I'd be surprised if that bass didn't sound excellent, Zons seem to be pretty consistent in their quality and Customs are my favorite Sonus.

13. Hummmmm... that bass looks very familiar...

As a matter of fact, that carpet looks very familiar!!!

Jeff

14. embellisher

Hey, Jeff, I've seen you on the newsgroups but didn't realize that you were a member here.

So that bass looks kinda familiar, huh?;)

See you tomorrow!:)

15. That's one of the best looking mid end Jay Turser P bass copies I've ever seen.

16. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I want a Jay Turser too! :D How can you resist a bass like that one when it is as cheap as it is? ;)

What is that body embel, koa top over ash w/ high gloss? Just trying to see if my knowledge on wood has gotten anywhere... :)

17. embellisher

Burled redwood over swamp ash.

Yum!