1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I think I found my tone but...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VitalSigns, Jan 7, 2012.

1. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

May 8, 2011
    Central NY
    So I think I've found "my" tone. Or at least a tone I love.

Its my P bass into a Vox AmPlug bass, with the gain dialed on to about 6.5 or 7.

So, does anyone know of any gear would be best for reproducing this sound?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ampeg.

:D

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Gee, now who woulda thunk that ? :D

4. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
  5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Or Vox, seeing as that's what it is.

I don't know about the amplug but every Vox guitar amp I've ever heard from the AC30 down to a little 10 watt beginner's bedroom practice amp has a certain sound to it that says "Vox".

6. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

May 8, 2011
    Central NY
    Anything particular from Ampeg?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    What price range are we talking?

8. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

May 8, 2011
    Central NY
    Well I'm not looking to buy any time soon.
    I know Ampeg can get pretty pricey, so I guess nothing over $1500. Basicly just need to know what to start saving for. :D

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    If I went new, I'd do an SVT 7 Pro and an 810e. It's $1800 MAP but if you find sales, you can do a lot better. If you can't swing the 7 Pro, the PF500 is a great choice as well. Used you could probably find an SVT-CL and 810e and come out to around $1500. If you want smaller or lighter stuff, I'd check out the PF heads and cabs or the Pro Neos. But they have a bunch of other stuff that's also really good, as do most manufacturers. I use and endorse Ampeg because it works for me, but I'd advise you to make up your own mind and hit music stores and hit up friends who have bass gear and play through as much stuff as you can before you spend.

10. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

May 8, 2011
    Central NY
    Thanks Jimmy, I'll definately look into some Ampeg stuff now.

11. I'm with Jimmy, Ampeg would be a good bet for that type of tone! Granted, if you're not doing large gigs you won't need an 810 along with an SVT ;)

If you're into the lighter stuff, definitely check out the PF heads/cabs or into pairing a PF head with some 210AVs (usually billed with the Micro-VR stack, another possible option for you). Those should cover small to medium sized gigs and will save you a lot of weight ;) I like what Ampeg's doing right now and the PF series is also a great option if you don't want to spend a lot of dough and get a killer rig!

12. HuntYouDown

HuntYouDown

Jan 3, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    I got an AC30, and it sounds pretty killer with my bass. I was going to get rid of it bacuse it's so fraking loud with my guitars. But, the bass is a tad more hush, but still loud. It has an ominence to it, sounds pretty awesome. I would challenge anybody in a tone contest with it.

13. FWIW, The Ashdown LB-30 seems to me to be pretty much a bass-type AC30

14. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM PHIL AND FA!! 1965 Fender P Bass 01271 - YouTube

Im just going ot leave this here for you. Phil X is by far my favorite guitarist lol.

15. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    I'm also with Jimmy on this one. I own an SVT 7 Pro and if you go back and check any of my posts here I usually don't hesitate to recommend it to someone. I run mine through a 410HLF. I don't know what the Vox AmPlug sounds like but one of the many available sounds of the 7 Pro can be heard in the soundcloud clip in my sig. (My jazz bass favoring the neck pickup with flats). But as others have said try out any amp you can.

16. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
  17. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    That guy was never troubled by sanity.

Bass sounds incredible, though!