1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I think I fried my amp (tube content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bisounourse, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Jun 21, 2012
    Gent, Belgium
    Friday while rehearsing I left my amp (a Sound City B120) on standby during rehearsal. After about half an hour we were ready to go and started to play, but first I got this horrible distorted sound (even on very low volume) and then the sound died... (the light which says that the amp is on does work though).
    Waited a day, took it home, tried to play it again, but still no sound.

I checked the following things:
    Cab and the cord/cable with another amp (Little Bastard); everything works fine.
    the output tubes (all six of them) still glow nicely when turned on

Can anybody help me diagnose the problem? A faulty pre-amp tube or is it worse? (When I bought the amp about two months ago it had undergone a compete checkup).

Thanks in advance.

2. f64

f64

Oct 31, 2009
    Best thing to do now is to get it to a tech. Even though it was recently checked out needless to say it sounds like something failed. It could be something simple like a few caps. Time alone, not use, will cause some components to reach their end of life.
    I've been through this before. Save yourself time and get it to a tech and good luck!

3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Check the HT fuse/does the standby light still work? Has it been recapped?

4. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Jun 21, 2012
    Gent, Belgium
    The Standby light still works. It has'nt been recapped (since I owned it).

5. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Have a good tech service and recap it. Those amps are raging beasts when they work right, but about 80% of them are hobbling due to not being maintained, or horrific bodging by techs who can only understand Fenders.

Bassmec likes this.
  6. Yet again I have to agree with the good Mr Foxen. Leaving the amp on standby should not be stressful for the amplifier but it does put a higher voltage across the power supply caps. IOW Tech Time.