1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I think I fried my Dog

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bruiser Stone, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    So I’m noodling today on the P Bass, enjoying a little Stranglers-esque OD through my Peavey Dirty Dog, and I notice a slight electric smell, but nothing alarming. I soon ended my session and went on with the rest of the day, the Dog plugged into it’s power supply as usual (an adjustable store bought one, but set on 9v as per the requirements, or so I thought). This evening, I wanted to finish working from my earlier practice, and I fire everything up without engaging the Dog. Everything is working with it in bypass, but I start to notice that smell again. I take the Dog off bypass...nothing. I feel the power supply and it’s very warm. I unplug it and see the switch is on 12v. I try a new 9v battery without the power supply connected, and still nothing.

It’s an ungainly chunk of a pedal, but if it ain’t JJ Burnel in a box I don’t know what is, and now I think it’s a hot dog. Are my fears as well-founded as I think they may be?

2. Newbilong

Newbilong

Aug 14, 2018
    Too bad. I hope it's rectifiable.

We're covering Toulouse and Peaches (but need to update the lyrics for Peaches a bit), and i've been trying to find that tone. Have you got any sound samples of tye dirty dog?

3. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    Not of me playing through it, but this one linked below is floating out there. The recipe is in the crunch channel, not full-out distortion, but dialed back a bit to keep some articulation. But JJ has a definite metallic feel, and this pedal nails it. It and a fresh set of Rotos completes the package (his Hiwatt stack helped, but I’ll keep dreaming). I think this clip is a little brittle compared to the tone I have coaxed out of it (and hope to get again).

4. Newbilong

Newbilong

Aug 14, 2018
    I hear what you're talking about. I'll have to keep an eye out for one. Thanks for the tip, and good luck getting your pedal fixed.

Bruiser Stone likes this.
  5. I just came here to say that this is the best title I've seen on a TB post in ages.

6. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Open it up and take some pics. I'm completely illiterate when it comes to circuits and components but if you're handy with a soldering gun and willing to work on the pedal maybe somebody can spot something and point out what can be fixed.

7. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    I intend to do just that and see what sense I can make of it, though it may be a couple of days before I can schedule the surgery. I’ll try to gets pics posted soon.

After posting this, I remembered I may jam with my electrical engineering-guitarist friend tomorrow afternoon. Perhaps between TB and my EE we can get this sorted out, because these things are not so easy to find.

Robertron likes this.
  8. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    Thanks. I’m kind of a free spirit on a keyboard.

equill and Robertron like this.
  9. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    First pic is the entire board
    Second is the corner next to the 9v pin connection
    Third is the power supply
    D03775F2-CDA0-4B79-BD4E-36A9BDC560FC. 6E647853-72A7-46CA-B8FC-934768EA6558.

B3E05F2E-BAE5-45CD-A685-F0A59B2136B7.