Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i think i fried my head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BornUnwanted, Dec 23, 2001.

1. i was foolishly screwing around with my head, and cabs...

i plugged one end of my speaker cord into my head (while my head being on, and on mute) and i was going to plug the other end into one of my cabs. while trying to do so, the end of the cord hit one of my bass strings, and made a spark about the size of a golfball, and the other cab that was plugged in made a very loud pop. after my head came out of it's "protective mode" it produced a very chunky, nasty distortion of which it was never before cabable of doing. now i tried a different cord, and my other bass (the one i was using prior had an active equalization, and this one does not). i also used my 10 inch crate to power my cabs to play through them, and it sounded fine.

i know what i did was extremely idiodic, but if you have any answers for what i actually did, what i can do to fix it, or anything else helpful i would greatly appreciate it.

my head is a Gallien Kruegar 700, and my two cabs are SWR 4x10 and an SWR 1x18, if that helps.

thank you

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well...i THINK you completed a circuit between the input side of your amp, and the powered speaker out. especially if your bass was making noise at the time, that would explain the spark.

so you probably toasted the preamp section of your amp, if it somehow got full current from your poweramp it would have done some damage. if it's a tube preamp, check the tube maybe?

i wouldn't hold out much hope for it being ok....sorry. :(

jason

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What he said, and keep your head out of the French fryer.

4. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    It's toast. Take it to an authorized service center so you don't void the warranty. Hopefully you have one nearby (I don't).

What do you think of the 700RB?
    Do you bi-amp it?

5. the 700rb was awesome with my 4 string soundgear and the rest of my equipment. for some reason, after i got my 5 string btb, i couldn't get a good sound out of it that i liked, and like i replied to in the "flat b string" thread, my b string sounded dead. i'm trying to sell my stuff now for the carvin setup in my profile. iv'e tried my btb through it and it was awesome. back to the point, i found the 700rb a great head with my soundgear, but i couldn't work with it and my btb.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup, you just got a hard lesson in why it's foolish to screw around with expensive gear. Painful but, if you learn from it, you'll never do it again.

7. I had the same sort of thing happen.
    Doesn't you amp have an internal protection fuse?

8. i had this happen to me.

basically what happened is you crossed the powered hot side of the current to the ground side...take it to the local electronics nut (the guy who lives in a house full of disassembled tv's and likes to watch re-runs of arthur and listen's to the supreme's while he solders)

beleive me the fuse will be blown...but there is no fuse on earth that can protect an amp from it. BTW to get my amp fixed it cost 80 canadian looneys, your's is a much better amp, likely more complex, but you probably live in a place with much more competition, so maybe the reworking and new transistors will run a hundred smackaroo's?