Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think I have 8-bit sound! (Zvex Wooly Mammoth clip)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by psi, May 12, 2005.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Continued from this thread.

So I tried out the EHX Micro Synth and the Alesis Bitrman and both just weren't producing that Nintendo-type sound I was looking for. But, I think I found something that might work -- the Zvex Wooly Mammoth.

The "Pinch" knob adjusts the pulse-width of the waveform, and when you set it really high, it sounds sort of Nintendo-ish!

Here's a clip in ogg format. It sounds different coming out of my amp -- a bit more bassy and less clicks and beeps. Also, the ogg compression changed it a bit, but it's a pretty good idea. (The end of the clip is a Goonies II bass line, hehe.)

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Very cool. Not sure if that sounds 8-bit. There's never been an 8-bit bass, just keyboards doing bass stuff. I have a favor, can you play some funky finger and/or slap lines and post them. I think that could be a very cool synth for funk. Maybe some "Thumpasaurus People" by Parliament Funkadelic. Anything funky. My interest has been peaked!

-Eric.

P.S. - Excellent tone. I could think of several uses for it.

3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    My browser didn't recoginze the clip format. But I have a Zvex Woolly Mammoth and It is incredible!! Complete insanity. You can some great lo-fi sounds with the pinch very low, EQ around 12:00-1:00, and the Wool around 3:00-4:00. The pinch acts like a noise gate, I usually keep it around 2:00 for silence between notes. After trying it, the high price tag wasn't such a big deal. Have you used it with a full rig? It makes the whole room vibrate! :bassist:

4. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    You'll need winamp, foobar 2000, or any other media player besides Windows Media player to run it

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Got some excitebike sounds out of it, Pretty close to 8 bit I think.

6. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    i'm on a mac, i don't think those are available for me...oh well

excitebike..ha ha, yeah it does kinda sound like that if you slide up the neck :D

7. Older thread but what the heck. OGG files can be played on an Apple (I'm on one too) just fine with VLC Media Player; an all-round media player that plays about everything there is to play (video, audio, ...).

8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    hmm, I'll have to check that media player out.

I'm currently looking for another fuzz, since I've been using an active bass more lately. The Mammoth doesn't respond well to active electronics for whatever reason. the PE Depth Charge is probably what I'm gonna get. I hear its great with active basses, plus it has a blend which is a great feature IMO.

9. Keep me posted mate. I want a Mammoth and a PE Depth Charge as well. GAS.

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well I tried the Mammoth out yesterday and it's true it really does blow with active basses. It was good with a passive bass but not worth the cash IMO.

11. Hey, you play a G&L L2000. Right? How does the Mammoth sound with the L2K in passive mode?

12. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    hey, check this out:
    Effector 13 TBD Scroll down to the Old Skool Video Game clip.