I think I have a Problem...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Jul 5, 2005.

1. I bought some Dirmarzio Ultra Jazz's for my Ibanez, They were used and came with two push pull pots. So, When i get home, I wire them up correctly, I plug in and a notice automatically the sound Improvement over the stock p-j configuration. They are wired as follows:

J neck>>>>push pull pot>>>
    J bridge>>>push/pull pot>>>>>>Jack

Pulling up on both pots acts as a mute, And down its Volume. Im sorry if i sound stupid, but im not great with Electronics, and Im learning. Anyway, when i pull/push them it makes a horrid popping noise, when i pan the volume its a little static-y, and the closer i get to my amp it wails and if i take the rubber cover i have from my amp off the pot it squeals like crazy. I'm assuming this is cause of my medeocre soldering skills but could I have done something wrong? Any suggestions would help, Cause I was thinking of getting it done by someone who knows for a fact what theyre doing. Again, any suggestions would help.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    without seeing it's hard to say for sure.
    Bad soldering on otherwise correct wiring can give the results you say, or poor shielding.
    If your solder joints have 'cold solder', that can definitely cause static. A cold solder joint will be dull, rather than shiny, and is typically caused by heating the solder rather than the work.
  3. Yup, Thats exactly what I did, I fugured there was no difference between heating the solder and heating the pot/wire. SO i took the easy route and heated the solder. I'll go back ad do it the correct way. Thanks for the Info.