1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I think I have been turned by my me G&L LB100...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Apr 26, 2015.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    image. image. image. image.
    I have always liked P's but mainly with flats and never as my main player. At 45 my ears are changing after 30 years of playing and the unrefined, grunty P Basses all of a sudden are harmonically rich thump machines to my ears. I used to have no attraction to a P but now I do. To scratch that itch I chose a new G&L LB100 from Rocket Music. I have used it on my last two gigs and I have totally enjoyed playing this bass and have gotten rave reviews from my band mates and other musicians on the tone of this bass. It is a sonic bulldozer that inspires booty wiggling from the first thump. Hence the bass faces!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    I obviously don't have this app on my phone down quite yet hmmmmm.

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks for the GAS:) That's a Beaut......I'm Thinking LPB for mine.

armybass likes this.
  4. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    I'm lovin' the goatee man! Awesome! Oh and nice LB 100, too... :bassist:

armybass likes this.
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D
    If you want me to change your title for you, just let me know

6. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    I've always been a fan of the SB-1, but somehow have never actually played an LB-100. One thing is for sure - that one is a beaut! Love the matching headstock.

Do you find the high mass G&L bridge has any significant affect on the tone compared to a Fender P with a vintage style bent metal bridge? With the SB-1 and the L series basses there is so much more going on it's hard to tell what the bridge design contributes.

armybass likes this.
  7. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Tom, I really can't say that I hear the difference of the G&L bridge. But I find that the bass sounds a little more organic and not as bitey as the Fenders. I like the Fenders a lot but this is such a sweet playing and sounding bass. Looking to get a new M200 very soon too. I love Ed Friedlands G&L videos... he sold me on this one and the M2000.

8. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    Thanks Scott. Sounds like a winning combination to me - when it's good it's good! Haven't spent too much time with the M series basses either, but from everything I've read they sound pretty sweet. Should be a great pair with the LB-100.

armybass likes this.
  9. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Yeah prob gonna use it as my backup to my Lull but yeah that and the LB100 would make a perfect pair. My LB rides with either a Ric or a Roscoe and is tuned to Eb.

Tom F likes this.
  10. lowerclef

lowerclef

Nov 10, 2003
    I'm not surprised. I've heard nothing but great things about them! Hope I can try one someday...

armybass likes this.
  11. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

image. These play like a dream. Mine's 2014, Old School Tobacco Burst.

12. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Whoa! That's beautiful!

R&B likes this.
  13. tortburst

tortburst Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2007
    New Jersey
    All bass reviews, rants and raves should come with bass faces

armybass likes this.
  14. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

...unless you have a face for radio like me! :D

armybass, nice specimen there! CAR is a personal fave. And any bass that can induce booty wiggling is clearly doing its job.

armybass likes this.
  15. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    That last face is how we should all feel playing bass!

armybass likes this.
  16. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    I currently have an M2500, that goes to gigs with my Lull M5, I can cover anything with those two! Thinking about an SB2 next....

armybass likes this.
  17. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    My M2000 (just put $ down on it :) is gonna be my 4 string slapper! Will accompany my M5V or SKB5.

18. Fit4pain

Fit4pain Supporting Member

May 30, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    My LB is my main player. I like it with the XL string it came with but I love it with Sadowsky flats. My band mates complain now when I bring a different bass with me. Congrats on a beautiful bass.

R&B and armybass like this.
  19. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Spectacularly Average Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    I have been a G&L fan since the last century. :bassist: Seriously, I have had at least one in my "arsenal" since the 90s and now my main bass, the only bass of significance in my life right now, is an LB-100. There is something about the sound - I know it is building a very close approximation of the Fender P, but there is something a tad different. Mine plays like a dream and just hammers when I need a hammer and glides when I need a glider.
    Beautiful basses, folks, beautiful.

R&B and armybass like this.
  20. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Lb 105, it needs to happen

davedblyoo, n1as, justbass57 and 2 others like this.