I think i have... bursitis?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Dec 19, 2005.

1. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Its like tendonitis of the shoulder. The bursa is a little sac full of fluid and i gues when it gets irritated, its called bursitis. It happened at volleyball practice the other day. I went up for a spike and felt some sort of pop sensation. I've been feeling slight pain ever since. I looked it up online and found out what it might be. They said that it is usually treated by simply taking anti inflammatory medication for an extended period of time. Oh well... I'll get a doctor to check it out just in case. anyone else ever had bursitis?
  2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I doubt it. I've had bursitus in a knee, and there was no pop or any other quick type of injury. As a matter of fact, there was very little pain involved, just a golf ball sized bump right below my knee cap.

I'm no doctor, which is who you should be speaking to, not a bunch of bass players.
  3. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    HEY HEY HEY NOW!!!!!I seriously doubt its bursitis, its generally not associayed with an acute injury, its a chronic type of ailment.

But I should be quiet, doctors know more about this than Bass players.

;) ;) ;)

4. As long as its not bass related injuries, i don't think we can help you:p
  5. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Is anyone else rolling their eyes right now?
  6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i thought this was going to be about "burke-itis." :p
  7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Nah, Since TPA shut down everyone loves me! :D I tore a rotator cuff several years ago, what you described sounds similar. How is the mobility of your shoulder?, Do you have a full range of motion or are some normal movements too painful and can't be done?
  8. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    sometimes when i reach back real far, its painful. Otherwise, its not too bad. I don't think its anything too serious. Thanks for the help guys.
  9. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005

Or Bruce-itis. Watch out for these guys: :meh:
  10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

11. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

12. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

Had it in my shoulder. My range of motion was about 5-10% from resting position.

Somebody had run into my shoulder full force and I wasn't looking. It never went pop.

I went to the hospital shortly after, and he stuck this huge needle into the socket and pumped me with drugs. It took about 4 weeks for me to fully recover (be able to take showers, and put shirts on without hurting).

Good luck. With any joint injury it can become chronic, so take care of it.
  13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Sounds like you ripped a muscle or a tendon, I associate popping noises with something that breaks, not something that comes from overuse of a muscle.

Keep it warm and give it rest ;)
  14. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    God. Ain't that the truth.

I have a long history of physical traumas. And too many of them come back to haunt me frequently. I have broken both ankles on parachute jumps. (No, not on the same jump. One had been broken in high school, and re-broke. The other only broke after landing on some uneven ground.) Both ankles, both knees, and my right shoulder frequently just take a break from normal painless function.
  15. Go see a doc - they'll know the best action.

Chances are you've just done something to your rotator cuff muscles - but the doc should be able to give more info.
    The cracks and pops in your joints, among other things, can be a torn cartilge moving around - that i know from my own personal experience, AND seeing it in other people at work (radiographer). Good luck.
  16. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Joints are supposed to give painless function? So that's what I've been doing wrong!

For me it's mostly limited to the knees. I wrecked one playing football in highschool and the other is pretty worn from making up the difference. Ahh, the joys of sport.

17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    This sounds a lot like Ed Zachary's disease.