1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I think I have fallen in love with SX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gord_oh, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i love my new SX.
    i want to post pics of it, but they dont do it justice.
    its beautiful!

tomorrow ill have to do some glamor shots with it.

2. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Glamour Shots by Deb? ROFL!! I'm pumped for you bro, I hope that the excitement will only continue to grow as you keep playing your new bass.

3. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I have been looking at the SX P/J bass for a few months now. Does anyone know if the necks are interchangeable with Fender style necks?

I am thinking about getting a fretless SX and I am getting ready to buy an AllParts jazz neck for another bass and thought it would be nice if they were interchangeable.

4. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY

Looks nice on there!;)

5. Clips are here - Dan posted them - knows how to cast a line.

Sounds good - per Dan this is direct with a Toneport and Cubase.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533020

6. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009
    I own 2 SX Jazz basses, one 4 string and one 5. Also got a Douglas 6 string from rondo too. Very good basses for a person not looking to gig every night or get seriously hardcore on bass playing careers. They are amazing for the price and sound quality is good. The only thing is that every bass i've bought from that site being it SX or not was that the strap buttons keep coming loose. The screws in the strap buttons keep working loose and eventually they become stripped out and theres no way of preventing it, my guess is that its cheap wood and thats why the strap button screws aren't more reliable. That and the truss rods in SX jazz basses are not adjustable, but besides those two flaws they are very amazing basses for the price. Just not recommended for professional musicians gigging every night and looking for record deals.

7. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Most are alder or ash, very good wood. And the truss rods are definitely adjustable. They would be next to useless if you couldn't adjust the necks via truss rods.

Product description for every bass says "adjustable truss rod" and I adjusted the truss rod on the short scale SX I had.

And there are professional bassists gigging with them.

8. All seven of my SXs have working truss rods and I never had a strap button come loose. As for being gig-worthy... gotta disagree whole-heartedly as will others here who actually gig with their SXs.

9. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009
    Well i've had all 3 of mine for a little over a year and they recently started doing that. As a matter of fact on all 3 i've already had to drill and make new holes for the strap buttons. But once I did that they are working very well and will not come loose at all. But just saying the job they did on it they kept coming loose. You may be able to help me with my truss rod situation then. One needs adjusting really bad and usually truss rods have a hexagon shaped hole you can use allen wrenches on. Well I went to adjust the truss rod and it didn't have one, there was no way of turning it at all on the SX basses. So I automaticly thought that the truss rods were not adjustable. But if you guys know a little secret or some other way to do the truss rods on the SX basses I could really use your help. Thankyou.

10. Just a 4mm allen wrench is needed. Did yours not come with the an allen wrench for the truss rod and a smaller one for the saddles?

11. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    mine did.

heres one pic of my new SX. (the reason this thread exists)
    1iicrb.
    more to come, better ones for sure.

12. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009
    I don't think mine did. On all other basses i've owned including the douglas 6 string I got from rondo, all the truss rods actually had hexagon shaped holes in the truss rods for the allen wrenches to adjust. My 2 SX basses only has a circle hole and doesn't look like its meant for any type of tool to go in there because i've tried numerous sizes of allen wrenches and nothing works.

13. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I can understand your not being able to see the hex socket in the end of the truss rod, I can't see any of mine either, BUT if you move the A and D strings out of the nut towards the outside edges of the fretboard (to give your wrench swing room) and insert a 4mm allen wrench into the truss rod and rotate it slowly it WILL at some point drop down and engage the socket.

I have 9 SX basses and this works on all of them.

14. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    They look very good for the money.

15. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    they sound and feel great for the money!

16. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009
    dabbler, I will try what you said about turning the truss rods. I have tried it before and the reason I say I can't see a hex shaped hole is because I actually shined a flashlight into the hole and what I saw was just a circle with no shapes or anything that an allen wrench can fit into. But I will try what you said. Thanks for the help.

17. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009
    oh hey I tried the truss rod thing and it did work. I had to reach the allen wrench WAY down in there but it did turn. I guess I was using too big of an allen wrench and not going down far enough. I guess it being so deep in there is why I couldnt see it either. But you really did help me, thankyou. Sorry I doubted ya man lol.

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The woods that SX uses are either alder or ash. These are the same woods Fender uses. Yes, occationaly the strap screws need to be tightened on my SX, but I also have to periodicaly tighten the strap screws on my American Fenders as well. Like anything made of wood, you MUST be carefull not to overtighten the screws or will strip them out. This goes the same for any bass, regardelss of price. Metal is stronger than ANY wood it's screwed into.
    The way to prevent them from stripping out is to check and tighten them before they get too loose.
    Again, this goes for ANY bass.
    O.K. looks like you solved this "issue". ;)

While not playing "every night", I've played countless shows over the past four years with my SX, and fortunatly I'm not "looking for record deals" as my all three of the last bands I've played with, including the two that I'm currently playing with have record deals on labels with decent international distrobution. :) Shhhh beter not tell them I play an SX LOL!! :)

19. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009

LOL!!!!!

20. Gord-
    Got my first SX about a month ago. Since then I've been selling most of my other instruments with no regrets. Granted, they're mostly $200-$300 MIM Fenders and Epiphones, so if I miss them, I'll replace them. And I've played it at all 5 of my gigs.
    The SX has really made me realize how much I enjoy everything about a P bass. AND THERE'S NO DEAD SPOT ON THE G STRING!! The SX isn't for everybody, but it sure works for me.
    And I don't see any need to modify it. Especially the logo.