I think i have gas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quizzo515, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Yes it's true, i have gas. but this is a differecnt type of gas, this gas is more of a type of bass rather than a certain bass. I was wondering what you guys would suggest for a 6 string fretless. I want a tight b sting clear lows and highs. Preferably a short scale (32 and under). what do you guys suggest. I would appreciate any input you guys have.

~All the bass
  2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I think it'll be difficult to get a 6 string bass with a 32 scale, let alone a tight B string. The newer 5 strings have a 35 scale to make the B string tighter. You may have a better luck with a vintage 6 string bass (It might be called a baritone guitar). I don't know if they are tuned like a typical six string bass either. You may want to consider having one made custom for you.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How much are you wanting to spend?

Alembic will build you a 32" scale Series I or II 6 string. But that is a lot of $$$.

I played a 30 1/2 scale Alembic Series I 6 string a couple of years ago, and it had a very good B string. Not Modulus or Roscoe good, but better than some 35" B's I have played. Construction and neck stiffness matter more than scale length. Scale length does make a difference, but it can be done.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my 34" scale thumb 6'er has a great B, and a really nice evenness across the strings. i've played a few 35" 6's and one 36" 6...and while the B might have been 'better' by a tiny bit, the extra scale length made the C very awkward and bad sounding.