1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I think I just found the best Les Claypool performance on YouTube

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blazer, May 4, 2006.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That middle section wasn't a bass solo per se- Les and Brain went into their version of "The Awakening," a song Les likes to cover, before going back into Tommy the Cat.

3. speaking of the Awakening, I've never heard any other songs by the Reddings. Does anyone know if they have CDs on any websites? because i can't find any

4. Thanks! That was a great video

5. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    An oldie but a goodie.

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    That's the video for the live cut of Tommy the Cat that is on Rhinoplasty btw.

Awesome video, I hadnt seen it before, allthough I have heard the live cut plenty of times hehe.

7. sounds much better played on a four:) ..dunno what it is, but i like brian alot better than tim...love to jam with brian

8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If I watched/listened to Les 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, I would still not get enough!

Thanks for the link!

BTW, I just snagged a live '98 Primus show in which Les throws down Stanley Clarke's "Silly Putty". If you've never heard him play it, you owe it to yourself to do so.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow, Les was kind of a jerk to Brain. I did think it was funny though when Brain dropped the beat at the wrong time, so Les decided to make him Tommy the Cat. :)

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

He is (was?) back

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I've never heard him play it, but it's cool how even someone as wacky as les can respect a great like Stan!

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't think they have anything on cd! I've been looking forever!

13. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Dig. And I like his just-left-my-office-cubicle-job-and-came-to-the-gig look, too.

Matt

14. I like any lineup better than the one with Tim. I went to HS with him and he was a jock A**H***. I prefer the Sausage lineup with Todd Huth. Back when Les played thru an ADA MP1 into an EV with the VRM driver. Speaking of is he playing all Mesa now? is that a practice amp on his stack? *** with the smoke?

OOOPS! I totally confused which Tim I was talking about! Tim S I went to HS with and took over drums in a different defunct band(VF) but has been a drum tech for Primus. I withdraw above statement about Mr. Alexander. It's just that the Norcal music scene is insanely incestuous, and all those hackysacking drummer guys worship Rush so its easy to confuse them. I apologize, I have had a headache for two days so I am not thinking very clear.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Oh yeah! THIS is the Primus I love right here!!!

16. Thanks man!
    yup. MP1 and the EV with the VMR, looks like an ADA power amp? Those were pretty underpowered if'n I remember. and that the carl thompson he later pulled the frets out of I am pretty sure. Todd and his tasteful guitar. When is that 88? Where is that? anybody?
    HAHA, if you look at the comments left under the video there are a bunch of clueless dweebs actually arguing about which lineup it is.
    It IS Jay Lane and Todd Huth. Take it from someone who saw Primus in Cotati right after they came out with Sausage.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm speddling on there and a clueless dweeb :eyebrow:

here is Jay and Todd

if the radio vids aren't Tim Alexander... it's his twin.

timalexander.

I've seen them at least 25 times early in Primus history and also Rat Dog a few times as well... I was an early fan, I use to get bootleg cassettes of shows mailed to me from my old guitarist that moved to redwood city in the late 80s and jammed with one of Les' students

18. les is using ampeg now aint he?

19. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    Very nice clips. What bass is Claypool using on the first clip?

20. You know, love or hate Les, you've got to envy his ability to sing/talk out of time (freely, vs 2 maybe?) while keeping the grove going.

If the vocals syncopate against the bass at all I can't sing and play unless I know the bass line forward, backward and upsidedown.