1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I think I just got a killer deal...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OxJohnson, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Did I?

I got an Ibanez RD500 and a Roadrunner Gig bag for $150. Deal or no deal? Comments on the RD500? It was a GAS attack, but for $150 (and the wifes permission :ninja: ), why not?! I saw it and spent about oh, 5 seconds debating. Talk about GAS :eyebrow: .

Really I guess the bass only set me back $100, because the bag would have cost me $50 at MF/GC... it is brand new with tags still on it.

Thanks all,
    Ox.

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    those ibanez rd 500's are REALLY nice basses. i played one the other day at a Sam Ash and the thing really copped a great Stingray tone and a nice Jazz tone too. Really great bass for the money.

3. So I got a good deal then... :eyebrow:

No, I really don't think so... I have the guys name and number and he offered to have me come over to his house for pickup. It was also posted on CL for almost a month (that I know of). The guy had 4 Stingrays... why wouldn't he be selling those too? Just said he was thinning the heard.

I guess it IS a possibility, but I think it would have been a bit more dodgy of a transaction.

Ox.

4. Cool then, his loss is your gain. Congrats!

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Most 'deals' are "too good to be true". But once in a while one can score for real.

Nice pickup! I hope it rocks your world.

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Great basses and good find man

7. That is what I ALWAYS thought. I used to watch CL closely and look through every dang garage sale/ebay auction/pawn shop/mom and pop music store that I came across and wondered to myself "so where ARE these guys getting these deals?!". I never saw them.

I gave up on looking about a month ago. Figured that the time wasn't worth it anymore. I just looked at CL today on a total fluke.

Ox.

8. Depends where you're at when looking for CL deals. I'm in Kansas City, which is a big area but seemingly very few bass gearheads, so there are deals to be had. I picked a T-40 up on CL last year for $100! Also a brand new Ampeg BR-100 for $300. I have an offer to a guy right now on CL for $100 for an active Dyna Peavey bass.:ninja:

9. Mo' Bass 00

Mo' Bass 00

Aug 15, 2006
    :bag: No pics, no bass!:D

10. I'd love to have an RD500...

for a $150? are you kidding me...

that's a steal...

I can't figure out how you managed to pick that up for that price....the seller could EASILY have gotten $250 maybe $300 for it...

11. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Nice score,once in a while deals like this can happen.Yesterday I was in a freinds music store and a guy had an old Gibson Grabber in peices cleaning the mildew off the pickguard.He picked it up for $40 at a yard sale.The hardware was pretty tarnished but the neck and body looked like they were in real good shape and he said the electrics worked when he plugged it in.That RD 500 looks like a real nice bass,congrats.

12. leroy boy

leroy boy Inactive

Nov 26, 2006
    Music City, USA
    I love to see a forum where guys get as excited over a $100 bass as other members get over a $5000.

Joy may be material sometimes, but the material doesn't have to cost a lot.

Nice score.

13. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Awesome bass for $150. Congrats! I was talking to Rufus Philpot a while back about buying one from him. He still has one for sale, I think. Oh, and he is still considering selling his Ibanez custom. Looking for offers. If I had any cash right now I would snatch that one up because it's a real beauty.

14. Because Mo' Bass asked... and I feel obligated being new here and all... here it is in its $150 glory! :hyper:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just finished putting new strings on and setting it up... plays like a dream! Can't wait for practice... haven't told the band that there is a new weapon in the aresonal! :ninja:

Those are just smudges picked up by the camera on the top photo. My cameratographical skills aren't that great...

Ox.

15. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    That's a steal... I'm saving up for the five string version which is being sold for $450. :p

16. $450 is new, right? I would (obviously) try to find a good one used. After I got this one I broke my own rule of looking around to see how good the price was (never do that... more often than not it leads to disappointment). I have seen the 4 bangers like mine go for as low as $200-$300.

I will say this though... after I got the new strings on and set it up, it is definitely a player! It feels good and is pretty light. There seem to be no dead spots as others have stated in other posts. As posted earlier the guy who sold it had a few Stingrays. Sure, its no Stingray, but I don't want to spend $1,400 for a bass right now either (donations would be gladly accepted of course). I am sure that with an arsenal like his he surely did not need this, but for me, its great!

Ox.

17. leroy boy

leroy boy Inactive

Nov 26, 2006
    Music City, USA
    supa buy
    looks really nice

18. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    I tried one and really liked it. The 5 string sounded great too. A heck of a deal. Easy to play (classic Ibanez neck), great sound, bit of a noisy preamp, but nice range of tones.

19. Is Ibanez RD a new model? I've never heard of those things before...

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021