1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I think I just quit my band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by oldrocker, Jul 28, 2012.

1. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I've been playing with this guys since the beginning of the year. We're non pros - It's a rehaerse once a week and play out once every month or so deal.

We have a possible benefit for next Saturday. I say possible because the details have been changing. It's gone back and forth from we are playing between 1 and 2 hours to we are only playin a half hour or 45 minutes.

We all agree that it's not worth it to haul our gear, we would need to bring our own PA and set up just to play 45 minutes s o we would decline if that was the gig. So now it's that we can play an hour and a half but we have to share he time with the singer from another band, Basically her band will not be showing up so we would back her up??

Anyway - last night I get an email from our band leader with the set list and requirements of this singer. I know none of the songs and we will not have a chance to rehearse with this singer before Saturday.

So today I sent an email to my band leader - and the rest of the band - that I will not have a chance to learn these songs before next Saturday and I am not prepared to play these new songs with a new singer in front of people without proper rehearsal.

I'm expecting the phone call any minute ...

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I'd say you're doing the right thing. Hopefully your band agrees. You're being given the runaround by the benefit organizers, who I'm sure aren't compensating you in any way. And YOU have to provide PA? how exactly does this benefit your band?

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Dunno if that means you quit. I'd take that as we wouldn't be able to do the gig so we'll just drop it like we already seemed to be wanting to do anyways.

4. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Seems like a lot of hassle that could make you and the band sound weak to a new crowd. If you made your position clear to the band, and they like you, they mightn't just drop you for this one disagreement.

I'd say wait it out, and be prepared to apologize if the chance arises. You can discuss your reasons later - to avoid a repeat! :bag:

5. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah, we'll see what the rest of the guys think. That's why I emailed the band instead of just talking to band leader. It was our band leader's idea to back up this singer. Not sure why ???

6. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Appologize for what?

7. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    If you are in a group with an enormous ego, it can be an excellent strategy to pick your battles. If you are certain that you are in the right here, as it appears... and if the leader or another member gives you grief over it, I'd recommend restating your position and apologizing for any inconvenience caused. Not pretending you were wrong, but better to be diplomatic where possible. IMO, not IME. Good luck.

8. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    There is no right or wrong, I will not have time to learn the songs and I will not play songs I don't know and have not rehearsed in front of people.

9. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Sounds like you're making the right call to me. If they still want to embarrass themselves -- which they will -- by pressing on, they can get a sub and you'll be none the worse off financially on top of saving yourself a lot of work and possibly damaging your reputation as a player.

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Dude, I will not play ONE SONG that is not well rehearsed. I don't understand anyone who would, unless they're massively talented and experienced, to the point where doing so doesn't contain any danger.

11. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Leadership. I suggest you vote one individual to deal with things like this.

I also suggest making a couple of rules, like a constitution.

Article one would be not supply a PA and backup for a singer for free. Let them rent their own PA and use that when you shoe up. You do Realize they're banging you for a free PA?

It's one thing to be kind and generous and provide for a functioning charity. It's another to be played a fool. Which is what is happening here.

I would take even odds that after schelping you PA and gear and backing up this gal for free you set would be less than the agreed on time and probably would cut al together with some excuse that will tick you off more that you deserve.

Pickup a couple of cheap battery operated amps and go play in the park and give that money to a charity. Everyone would be coming out ahead.

12. Puma

Puma Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2010
    VA
    What he said.

13. hollotim

hollotim

Jun 8, 2011
    Your doing the right thing. The stress of playing with a singer you don't know (without adequate rehearsal time) is enough to skip this one. Never mind that the gig is one week away and you do not know the songs. The band leader should have already declined instead of putting the band in that situation.

14. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    A Band is almost like a marriage or a serious relationship..execpt with more than one partner...all of the members are in it so to speak..if there is no communication, commitment, and all in it for the best interest...it will fail.

I'm sure we all have down the road to simular situations....You can have the best musicians, but if someone doesnt get along or play well with others...pull the plug...always talk together after practice...even if it is just shootign the crap...it will make for a fun band and good experience.

15. Good move. Bad move on the lead singers part. If it were me in your situation, I would do the same. Doesn't mean you quit though. It means your standing your ground and refuse to make fools out of yourself and your band. Good on ya!

16. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    Yep. That. That is the answer to everything.

I don't know why some people think it's acceptable to agree to play completely unrehearsed songs for over an hour. I can see doing a blues jam, or a couple of songs that everyone agrees on beforehand, and that everyone ALREADY KNOWS.

But a whole set list, with new material, new singer, unrehearsed, and in front of a crowd? That is a recipe for disaster. And a terrible way to do business.

Just say no. And if they can you, count your blessings.

17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'd take a look at the songs before I decided that I couldn't play them. It could be easier than you think; it might even be fun. I'd probably do it. Make her provide charts.

18. KTFunkAlive

KTFunkAlive

Nov 28, 2007
    Just do the hour and a half with your own band and tell the organizers you won't be needing the other singer.

It'd be smoother for everyone involved.

19. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Communication. I was in one band where the rest of the band would go outside for a smoke break. I didn't. The drummer, whose name was, no lie just like the movie, Beano would used this time to politic behind my back.

I am probably the only person that got kicked out of a band for not doing drugs.

20. lokikallas

lokikallas

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Sounds like her band already decided not to bother showing up, so out of desperation your band was asked to back her up.