Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think I killed my bass...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by The Alexander, Aug 23, 2005.

1. So there I was, tightening my truss rod, trying to get the neck straighter, and all of a sudden I hear a loud pop, and now my neck is bowed about 1/4 of an inch. What did I do?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Most likely you've broken your trussrod.

3. I was afraid that may be the case. Can they be replaced, or do I need to get a new neck?

4. shake it and listen for a rattle...if it rattles fo sho it is broken...

if it is...often it is cheaper to replace the neck (hopefully it is a bolt on) than to get the trussrod replaced (can be one heck of task).

What kind of bass is it?

5. Well, I shook it and there is no rattle :meh: So I have no idea what it could be. It is a bolt on, a Peavy Millenium 5-string.

Thanks

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    not quite familiar with those, but you may have overtightened and broken the wood around the bolt...still a PITA, take it to a tech, they'll tell you what you did.

there's a moral to this kids, as dan e. says, loosen before you tighten. or something like that.

7. depending on the rod...broken wood around the rod may not be fatal for the neck...a flat washer of the right size (or several, whatever the case may be) might get you out of jail...but, yes...take it to a tech...

meanwhile...contact peavey for a replacement neck...its good to have a backup plan...Peavey used to be really great with service, hopefully, they still are.