Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i think i may have figured it out, but i need some opinions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Jan 14, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so i was all set to get rid of my 8x10 for a new 2 cab setup, because i wasn't getting the sound, or lowend that i wanted from my svp, qsc, 8x10. well...the other night i decided to a/b my svp against my bddi. i know the bddi can't drive a power amp to full power, but it was just to compare tone. keep in mind...this was in my living room at home, using my passive mia j bass (natural/maple).

so...the bddi first. right off the bat, the first thing i thought was, "this is what i've been looking for". i haven't used it in so long, and forgot how great it was. i used the recommended settings, then messed around with it. i got so many sounds from it, and really loved it alot.

now...the svp. i didn't like it how it was set. just didn't have the bottom i wanted. so i went through the suggested settings, and that helped fatten things up a bit. then i messed with it alittle, and it sounded pretty good. the thing i'm worried about with it, is that a while ago, it sounded great at home, but then live i could not get the sound i wanted. it kept distorting. i couldn't get it cleaned up at all. it probably should get some new tubes though. i think that's definately in order.

i have practice on friday and saturday, and i'm going to try them both again at much higher volumes and see what happens.

now, my question is this. is this a fair comparison. i know it would be alittle more fair if the svp had newer tubes in it, but would it make THAT MUCH of a difference for comparison? also, would it be safe to say that if after practicing, if i end up liking the bddi much better, that i should just get the rbi? and will the rbi run my power amp (rmx 850, soon upgrading) to full power? let me know. thanks.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    From what I've heard, I don't think you'll have a problem with the RBI driving your RMX. (No first-hand experience with QSC, I have a Carvin.)

However, I will say I'm extremely happy with my RBI! Happy enough that I recently picked up a Landmark 60 amp, which is a little 60W tiltback combo/monitor with a built-in RBI. Creamy goodness.

RBIs are good schtuff.