1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I think I may need a compressor but not sure

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by just4since84, Feb 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. just4since84

just4since84

Feb 26, 2016
    Maine
    I play a Fender Nate Mendell P Bass. I love the punch that my A and D strings have. I wish I were as enthused about what my E and G strings sound like. But my main concern is that when I play the 12 fret on the D string when playing with the band I can barely hear the note. Would this be a possible dead spot and would a compressor help me? I've never used one and I don't want to spent much to try one. Should I buy an inexpensive one like a Behringer for $25 to see if it helps? Any opinions would help. I'm brand new here. Thanks!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Dead spots and uneven string tone/volume are best handled by a setup job on the bass. A compressor will not help. The cheapest ones tend to be worse than not having a compressor at all. There are exceptions, but you can find out about those AFTER you take the bass to a setup pro. :)

Robroy and just4since84 like this.
  3. just4since84

just4since84

Feb 26, 2016
    Maine
    Yeah I think you are right. I got this bass back in Dec. and did my own setup. I am no pro for sure but it played alot better. Since then I've switched rounds for flats and tweaked my bridge saddles. I've also noticed my neck has relaxed a bit. I'll do another setup. I don't of any decent pros in my area of Maine. Thanks for the input.

4. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Well your Bass might need a good setup as well everybody's basses anyway lol However I thought I did not need a compressor before and now can't turn it off... My advice is try a cheap one from bongomania's list or one of your friend's ;)

just4since84 and Matto1349 like this.
  5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Have you adjusted the pickup height? If not that's a great place to start for your issues.

just4since84 likes this.
  6. just4since84

just4since84

Feb 26, 2016
    Maine
    Yes I have adjusted the pickup height and it did help a little. I also set my E string over in to one of the next grooves in the E string bridge saddle. That helped out with the sound to but it angles off toward the butt of the bridge more dramatically. I can't really even purchase a cheap compressor at the moment so when I get time I will start with a setup. I just was blessed with my first grandkid so life is a blur right now. I am thinking for my set up this time is to adjust my neck dead straight with no curve, retune and see if my normal string tension will give the neck the slightest bit of curve. Last time I tighten it to the curve set with feeler gauges and I think my string tension increased the curvature more than it should be. This bass has Seymour Duncan pickups and a badass2 bridge. Thank you for your replies.