I think I might have a hernia..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Aug 12, 2005.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Title says it all. Past week, I've been having some pain and heaviness near the groin area, and yesterday, I noticed a lumpy bulge down there that shouldn't be.

I'm supposed to go to the doc's for a yearly physical next week, so I'll show it to them then. Just worried if I do have one though.

Anyone have any experiences with these?

2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I had a hernia surgery 3 or so years ago, and it's nothing. It hurts for like a day or 2, but it's not bad at all.
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Uhhhhhh go have it checked out maybe? ;)

4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not too bad, had me sidelined for a month from much activity, and then about three months with minimal lifting. Hell, it could be worse.
  5. 5th grade, we'll say that something was not as symmetrical as it should be :confused:

I was out for a week or so with some pain while I urinated, but that's about all.
  6. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    Go and get it seen to NOW Vince. Hernias may not seem to be much but you do run the real risk that the intestine may bulge into the hernia area and strangulate. This causes severe pain and very quickly that part of the intestine will have its blood circulation stoppe and it will die off - just like a rubber band on a lamb's tail.

You also have to know what you can and can't do whilst youve got it.

It really needs to be operated on and fixed - don't go around with a hernia any longer than you need to - it becomes very uncomfortable at times and the lump can become quite large.

Lapasoscopy is the best type of operation ( keyhole type with little cameras etc ) where they put a special material over the torn area which is screwed to your pelvis with titanium screws - has a huge success rate and almost zero re-occurrence. It is so successful that you can almost lift the day you have the op except for the pain of the op of course which goes in a week or two anyhow.

Get it sorted straight away my friend.

7. I'm actually healing from hernia surgery I got last thursday, right now. Its not that bad, can't do too much but the pain is fairly minimal.
  8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Heh heh... there is this gag you can do...

pull yo.. well. PM me if anyone really wants to know.
  9. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm trying to get my physical bumped up to the next possible available date. If the pain starts getting any worse though, I'm going straight to the ER.

10. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    Just bumpin this thread up so I don't have to make a new one.

I just got home from the physical. The doc thinks it might be a small hernia, though right now it's too small to really tell. He said in terms of getting surgery for it, it'd be up to me to decide. As of now, he wants to go with a watch/wait approach, and see if it gets any bigger.